• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Fiskerton this weekend

While sat there i did notice a few pike hitting the fry in the margins, they were relentless !

Anybody fish for pike on there ? Definately worth a go from what i saw.
Hi Richard,
A few seasons back I had a right “crocodile “ of a fish grab a small Barbel I was playing. It chugged about for a couple of minutes with it in it’s maw and then released, probably got fed up with me trying to guide it in! I weighed the Barbel and it was 4lb 13oz, my PB Pike is 31-13 and was 48” long and I swear the Trent beast matched it for length.

Hi Richard,
A few seasons back I had a right “crocodile “ of a fish grab a small Barbel I was playing. It chugged about for a couple of minutes with it in it’s maw and then released, probably got fed up with me trying to guide it in! I weighed the Barbel and it was 4lb 13oz, my PB Pike is 31-13 and was 48” long and I swear the Trent beast matched it for length.

That is some PB Bill, that's a pike of a lifetime! I bet that pulled your string a bit! I'm guessing it was from a trout reservoir?

I've still to get a 20!

Hi Richard,

Thats a fine PB 👍
Ive got my heart and head set to getting a 20 this year 🤞

I think alot of places get mobbed and spoiled due to social media, people like to show of trophy fish. Id never put anything up on there. Id maybe put up a pic on here of a nice barbel but not to gloat simply to share with likeminded people.

That is some PB Bill, that's a pike of a lifetime! I bet that pulled your string a bit! I'm guessing it was from a trout reservoir?

I've still to get a 20!
Joe,
No great skill but let me first paint you a picture. It was the weekend of my 30th birthday and was fishing for Carp with my mate on a Kent gravel pit. My birthday dawned on a bright sunny Sunday morning and by 10am we were baking in the sun. Come 10:30 i’d Had enough, been fishing since Friday afternoon with nowt to show for it. The Carp were sunning them selves and slowly cruising up and down the the lake, as I say 10:30 and my thoughts were on a birthday dinner and a pint so I lift the RH rod high into the air to lift the trilobe lead and get it to plane over the gravel bars....everything went solid! Weed I exclaimed, then the weed started up the lake, convinced I had foulhooked a Carp I had an effort to turn the fish....anyway some 15 minutes or so later I had two very menacing eyes peering at me as I steered the fish toward the net and four foot behind was this great paddle of a tail. It had grabbed my yellow boilie and was fairly hooked in the scissors, so yup a great PB but a totally fluke capture. This all happened on 26th June 1983 long before many on here were born I suspect. 😁 Like the haircut? 383EA919-BDBD-4242-BDE1-1CCB37C0E1C3.jpeg

Joe,
No great skill but let me first paint you a picture. It was the weekend of my 30th birthday and was fishing for Carp with my mate on a Kent gravel pit. My birthday dawned on a bright sunny Sunday morning and by 10am we were baking in the sun. Come 10:30 i’d Had enough, been fishing since Friday afternoon with nowt to show for it. The Carp were sunning them selves and slowly cruising up and down the the lake, as I say 10:30 and my thoughts were on a birthday dinner and a pint so I lift the RH rod high into the air to lift the trilobe lead and get it to plane over the gravel bars....everything went solid! Weed I exclaimed, then the weed started up the lake, convinced I had foulhooked a Carp I had an effort to turn the fish....anyway some 15 minutes or so later I had two very menacing eyes peering at me as I steered the fish toward the net and four foot behind was this great paddle of a tail. It had grabbed my yellow boilie and was fairly hooked in the scissors, so yup a great PB but a totally fluke capture. This all happened on 26th June 1983 long before many on here were born I suspect. 😁 Like the haircut?View attachment 11237
Thanks for sharing ! I was still i twinkle in my dads eye hahaha...
Beats a carp any day of the week . Have you had anything nearcthat since ?

Joe,
No great skill but let me first paint you a picture. It was the weekend of my 30th birthday and was fishing for Carp with my mate on a Kent gravel pit. My birthday dawned on a bright sunny Sunday morning and by 10am we were baking in the sun. Come 10:30 i’d Had enough, been fishing since Friday afternoon with nowt to show for it. The Carp were sunning them selves and slowly cruising up and down the the lake, as I say 10:30 and my thoughts were on a birthday dinner and a pint so I lift the RH rod high into the air to lift the trilobe lead and get it to plane over the gravel bars....everything went solid! Weed I exclaimed, then the weed started up the lake, convinced I had foulhooked a Carp I had an effort to turn the fish....anyway some 15 minutes or so later I had two very menacing eyes peering at me as I steered the fish toward the net and four foot behind was this great paddle of a tail. It had grabbed my yellow boilie and was fairly hooked in the scissors, so yup a great PB but a totally fluke capture. This all happened on 26th June 1983 long before many on here were born I suspect. 😁 Like the haircut?View attachment 11237

Blimey Bill, that's a birthday gift and a half...If Carlsberg did fluke captures!

Nice barnet! I dig those disco slippers you are wearing as well ! :p

Thanks for sharing ! I was still i twinkle in my dads eye hahaha...
Beats a carp any day of the week . Have you had anything nearcthat since ?
Hi Richard,
I’ve not gotten within a country mile of that Pike, have had two experiences of big fish grabbing others, The Trent experience as previously mentioned and also had a leviathan grab a 3.5lb Chub on the Wye but obviously neither fish landed. I haven’t Pike fished proper for many, many years....perhaps this winter I might chance my arm 🙂

Blimey Bill, that's a birthday gift and a half...If Carlsberg did fluke captures!

Nice barnet! I dig those disco slippers you are wearing as well ! :p
I’ve still got hair these days but now short and a trendy grey colour but it doesn’t cost me a fortune to get it...nature provides 🤣 I set a bit of a trend amongst my mates in those days with my moccasins Joe. They were leather with a good sole and these days someone would be selling them as deluxe bivvy slippers. They were very easy to slip into if you got out of the bag in the night, easy to see in the dark because of the light tan colour. Got them from a local market trader.

Last edited:
Yes good point, I can imagine Korda marketing them at ‘Mokkasinz’, £50 a pair with the carp tax!

Imagine how big that pike would have been if you bagged it in late Feb, early March!?

Yes good point, I can imagine Korda marketing them at ‘Mokkasinz’, £50 a pair with the carp tax!

Imagine how big that pike would have been if you bagged it in late Feb, early March!?
I’m no Pike expert Joe but reckon late season she might be 5-6lb heavier? You can see from my left hand pulling in near her vent that she was “hollow” no firmness to her undercarriage at all!

Hi Richard,
I’ve not gotten within a country mile of that Pike, have had two experiences of big fish grabbing others, The Trent experience as previously mentioned and also had a leviathan grab a 3.5lb Chub on the Wye but obviously neither fish landed. I haven’t Pike fished proper for many, many years....perhaps this winter I might chance my arm 🙂

Definately give it a go this year ! I cant wait.... to the point im wishing the summer away 🤣

I’m no Pike expert Joe but reckon late season she might be 5-6lb heavier? You can see from my left hand pulling in near her vent that she was “hollow” no firmness to her undercarriage at all!
Bill if that pike survived another season it could well have put on another 15% in weight at the 'backend' of the season. Interestingly, a lot of big pike (30 lb +) have fallen for carp anglers baits ...in yellow. A few years ago, there was a 33-34 lb pike in my neck of the woods, that pikers were targeting on conventional baits with little success. It was last caught, as far as is known, by a carp angler on a yellow boilie in summer.

Back