• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Fishing the swim next to someone

I've had a few incidents over the years including somone setting up 8ft from me and casting into the pool I was fishing. I bit my tounge till the lead hit the water and then let a tidade of abuse go. He really didn't get it. Why I even let him get to that stage I don't know.
I'm well known for upping and leaving now if somone sets up next to me. Happened once last year but have found it more common on the Severn Trent and Wye. I can't abide it and it really does infuriate me I am happy to share with mates ect but I really cannot stand the laziness behind copying or relying on somone else's watercraft.

Solitude for me all the way. You may have just landed on a popular area. Next time you'll be able to decide where to go based on what you've learned.
Fishing for me is never about chasing fish particularly those heavily fished for - would rather just soak it all up with the chance of catching an odd fish or two.
You'd be surprised at how much ploughing your own furrow is rewarding.

I must be more use to it fishing club stretches on the Middle Trent where pegs either side can have an angler on them. I do like to arrive early on a certain stretch to bag the favoured peg (not before civil dawn in accordance with club rules) Most occasions fellow club members will ask if I mind if they fish on the next peg. Like myself they have paid for membership and can fish any free peg they like, it is nice to be asked though.

A.holes, weather it's the splosh of a feeder approx 15 ft from where you are fishing , the repugnant pong of the chain smoking dopehead, rave radio , mobile phone constant loud inane yorking numerous other things when they decide to plonk down too bloody close. Can't wait for the winter when most A holes are tucked away watching sky sports ordering did somebody just say heart attack at chavy villas.

A.holes, weather it's the splosh of a feeder approx 15 ft from where you are fishing , the repugnant pong of the chain smoking dopehead, rave radio , mobile phone constant loud inane yorking numerous other things when they decide to plonk down too bloody close. Can't wait for the winter when most A holes are tucked away watching sky sports ordering did somebody just say heart attack at chavy villas.
This experience of A Holes and Dope Heads reminded me of a tench session on a local Mere in March 2020 just before lock down.
I turn up early pick my swim, either side of me are two fairly close swims, its not a problem I've fished the same situation several times before !!

An hour later angler A arrives and sets up to my right and lights up a joint, twenty minutes later Angler B turns up has a chat with A obvious they know each other and I am the Gooseberry. Angler B sets up on the other side of me and lights up then for fifteen minutes they converse laugh and joke with each other whilst smoking their crap, little me starts to brew and stew.

A few minutes pass and I ask them " do you lads want to swap swims" Angler A replies " that would be great" and I let out a huge " well piss off to the other side of the lake and give me some peace"

I never heard a word until they both packed up a couple of hours later and it was still only 10.00

My last but one tidal trent session i thought a match was on , my mistake i should have opted for a Wednesday night , not Tuesday as bank holiday hordes were still there .Finally got set up then a father and son got the Olympic fire pit out complete with the ching of generic lager bottles , suffice to say bailiff appeared, A bit cold are we lads ! it was 18 all night .

My last but one tidal trent session i thought a match was on , my mistake i should have opted for a Wednesday night , not Tuesday as bank holiday hordes were still there .Finally got set up then a father and son got the Olympic fire pit out complete with the ching of generic lager bottles , suffice to say bailiff appeared, A bit cold are we lads ! it was 18 all night .
I just move. Now I'm old.
Different a number of years ago when I was to have an exchange regarding good manners.

Mind you I was naughty a couple of weeks ago.
Only car in LS carpark. Set up, lazy after Zander, wasn't turning alarms down on tightening up.

4 hours later chap two swims down was picked up by his wife. Did apologise. No problem it seems.

Ah the Firestarters got a couple of those round here as well, not with fire pits though, oh no just start a fire by the bough of a 60 foot Poplar by the river. I asked politely " what you doing lads that's a living tree" as one turned around, I recognised him " you should know better Andy" he looked at me sheepishly and they put the fire out, these "lads" were well into there thirties and smoking!

Same river I turn up at a popular swim to be confronted by a barrow stocked up with at least 15/20 rolls of wallpaper and two A Holes fishing, " had owt" I ask "no mate" looking at me they see I have noticed there cargo. " its ok we are not dumping it, just gonna burn it later" one says " not a good idea with all this vegetation and trees around is it, best you take it back with you" I got that look as good as to say are you mad. I purposely set upstream of them to watch their antics and I couldn't believe that they when they packed up they took it all with them !!

Now in my Diamond years I have been told to " keep your trap shut and hands in pockets" by the good lady indoors.

Fishing on the Wye some years ago opposite the Courtfield stretch (Welsh Bicknor) some lunatic began playing the trumpet. I was having a red letter day too. It started with the worst rendition of 'Jerusalem' followed by 'When the Saints Go Marching In'. Halfway through 'What a Wonderful World' I'd decided t call it a day. It wasn't all bad though I'd lost count of how many barbel I'd had and a new PB.

Fishing on the Wye some years ago opposite the Courtfield stretch (Welsh Bicknor) some lunatic began playing the trumpet. I was having a red letter day too. It started with the worst rendition of 'Jerusalem' followed by 'When the Saints Go Marching In'. Halfway through 'What a Wonderful World' I'd decided t call it a day. It wasn't all bad though I'd lost count of how many barbel I'd had and a new PB.
Whilst fishing a couple of weeks ago, the Estate where I was fishing was holding an open air performance from a String Quartet in the afternoon. I spent the afternoon walking around the lake with the sounds of the violin and the cello drifting through the air. It felt like I was in an episode of Passion for Angling, and I half expected Chris Yates to suddenly appear on the lakeside path on his vintage bicycle!

I won't fish next to, or opposite anyone, unless they're a mate and we have a chat first. Not everyone possesses such common sense though, on BAA stretches where you get occasional anglers who aren't really familiar with barbel fishing etiquette. The fish chasing brigade are another example of it, I remember Mark Harridence fishing a swim once on the Lower Severn, and a well known angler setup directly below him as it was "a good swim" and he wanted a chance of catching a big fish that was resident at the time. His actions completely took Mark's downstream rod out of the equation. Not good cricket at all.

I'm fortunate to be still fit enough to walk a long way with my gear strapped to my shoulders. Certainly since covid struck I've found a lot more antisocial anglers on the bank, this has driven me to seek out unpopular and remote spots where I'm unlikely to see a soul all day. It has had the unexpected added bonus that I've been catching rather a lot of fish too that I'm now pretty sure have shied away from the daily barrage of 4oz feeders and bite alarms in the popular spots adjacent to parking areas.

I won't fish next to, or opposite anyone, unless they're a mate and we have a chat first. Not everyone possesses such common sense though, on BAA stretches where you get occasional anglers who aren't really familiar with barbel fishing etiquette. The fish chasing brigade are another example of it, I remember Mark Harridence fishing a swim once on the Lower Severn, and a well known angler setup directly below him as it was "a good swim" and he wanted a chance of catching a big fish that was resident at the time. His actions completely took Mark's downstream rod out of the equation. Not good cricket at all.
I remember that well! John! I did have a 12 that afternoon and he blanked, so a bit of Karma there I think!
He never caught that fish he so desperately wanted despite spending so much time on there.
As we know, Him and his chums moved over to the Warwickshire Avon to target the known big fish off a stretch there, so I dread to think what it's like there!

I had the same on the H Avon. Set up in a good swim on a day ticket stretch. A very well known angler turns up and sets up 2 (two) metres below me. He simply wanted to make sure I didn’t catch anything as I was in the ‘going’ swim.

I can’t remember how long I stuck it, but it wasn’t very long.

A well known trout fly fishing guide did it to me once in a boat. He moored about 10 metres away and got his client to try and cast in front of me. He got very embarrassed when I hooked a good fish and he realised we knew each other ! At which point he moved…..

I remember that well! John! I did have a 12 that afternoon and he blanked, so a bit of Karma there I think!
He never caught that fish he so desperately wanted despite spending so much time on there.
As we know, Him and his chums moved over to the Warwickshire Avon to target the known big fish off a stretch there, so I dread to think what it's like there!
An absolute circus mate, the stretch is a joke. 20 mins from home and I'd rather sell my gear than fish there. A shame as it's a lovely place and Ive fished it for 16 years (not the last 4 though).

Fish chasers and those desperate for YouTube 'fame' have sadly spoiled it.

Last few times I’ve fished a popular Warks Avon stretch there has been a guy diving for Roman artefacts.

No problem with this but he swims right up to your pallet and doesn’t have a care in the world, might be a bit different when a 6oz lead drops on his head !!!

Christian. I think you're expecting alot! I agree with your views but many won't have any reservations in fishing next to you or even opposite you on the other bank. People from a match fishing background see every 'peg' as fair game. Once on the Royalty someone actually 'rolled' meat through 'my' swim! I haven't been back!

Christian. I think you're expecting alot! I agree with your views but many won't have any reservations in fishing next to you or even opposite you on the other bank. People from a match fishing background see every 'peg' as fair game. Once on the Royalty someone actually 'rolled' meat through 'my' swim! I haven't been back!

Thanks Andrew, good to have a reality check. My cars out of action at the moment and I'd settle for someone either side and on the opposite bank as opposed to this forced abstinence 😂

I had an angler skyline my swim at the Royalty on Monday. With the Sun right behind him he stood on the bank above me casting his shadow across my swim and in a big booming voice asked if I had: "HAD ANY LUCK?"

He then proceded to dispense unsolicited advice on how to fish the swim before announcing to my relief that he was off to do some fish spotting...one really does encounter some idiots on the bank.

If an angler sees nothing wrong in pitching up next to you or fishing opposite your swim I am afraid that reasoning with them and pointing out that its bad form is unlikely to get you anywhere , just move . This sort of experience can have a positive effect in that you may , in your search for solitude, actually find a new swim full of fish . Alternatively, as you leave, make an an almighty clatter and scare all the fish , juvenile but could be strangely cathartic

Back