• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Fishing the River Teme.

Graham Tremble

Hi Guy’s,
Excuse my ignorance but is fishing the Teme for Barbel these days a realistic proposition? Not discounting it would still be a lovely place to fish in any case?
G.T.

I had a week on it last year, but only fished a couple of hours each evening 4 hour slots max , and maybe a morning spell once. I think I managed 4 or 5 Barbel to about 8lbs or so, maybe a bit bigger, bumped off a couple and had some nice Chub as well. I did have a few good wrap around bites that tunrned into nothing , could have been enthusiastic Chub maybe, who knows. The condidtions were not good, rain, floods, more rain etc etc.

I liked it enough to be going back again this year . Its a lovely small river that screams out for some wandering up and down with a rod and minimal tackle .

David.

Last edited:
by coincidence chaps, the RSM announced this week that she fancied a few days at Ludlow ,having read a report in the mail over the weekend as a recommended destination for a few days.
I will probably be required to be in attendance . If it materializes perhaps I can pick some brains about on here as to where how and permits to fish.

Thanks for your replies. I haven’t fished her for over 20 years after the Barbel stocks declined dramatically . It is good news that some of you guys are still enjoying the fishing and any barbel landed here is an event to get the heart racing. I must get myself down there before the season starts to have a wander along the banks and a pint at the Talbot.
Tight Lines,
G.T.

Thanks for your replies. I haven’t fished her for over 20 years after the Barbel stocks declined dramatically . It is good news that some of you guys are still enjoying the fishing and any barbel landed here is an event to get the heart racing. I must get myself down there before the season starts to have a wander along the banks and a pint at the Talbot.
Tight Lines,
G.T.
If you have the choice of "this that and t`other" I can recommend "that"...

Hi Guy’s,
Excuse my ignorance but is fishing the Teme for Barbel these days a realistic proposition? Not discounting it would still be a lovely place to fish in any case?
G.T.
Probably not if you are focusing solely on Barbel, but the Teme has so much more to offer than merely Barbel. Very unique river and I have to reacquaint myself with her again.
I recall a certain swim that gave up four Barbel in quick order, and the following week four I lost to hook pulls...it's what she does.
Actually I don't really need to fish the Teme to enjoy her, merely a walk peering into the likely spots is enough, the wildlife is extraordinary and the Balsam is gigantic.
The advantage of NOW on the Teme the celebrity anglers have reassembled to the Trent to fulfill their page filling exploits for the weeklies and left us to her wild unkempt self.
I like that.

Back