• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Fishing tackle in USA

Steve Reed

I am off to sunny Florida in a couple of weeks. Should I take a shedload of cash to stock up in tackle shops over there or is it just as cheap to buy at home? Thinking of things like line, lures, flyfishing gear etc.

Cheers

Steve

I've not been myself but understand there are big savings to be made and even if you don't buy anything a visit to a Basspro Shop is supposed to be a sight to make a grown man cry with joy. Not sure of the situation when you come back through Customs as they are bound to want a slice of cake.

I go to the USA a few times a year and always pick up a few things in Bass Pro..... :)

The choice is the main thing, especially with lures etc.

I usually pick up some line/braid, lures and the odd reel.

Only down side is the exchange rate is not what it was, but usually a few bargains to be had.

Always enjoy spending a few hours wondering around Bass Pro. :)

Been a few years since I have travelled to The States but I do remember fly lines being a good price for the likes of Cortland and Scientific Anglers (Aircel/Wetcel).

I think any of their domestic products you will find cheaper than here but if you declare it at customs on the way home you will be charged import duty and possibly VAT. Worth checking this if you are thinking of making purchases. Guessing HMRC is the first place to look.

My stepson ordered a T shirt online from America and had to collect it from the sorting office to pay the duty/VAT. Royal Mail also charged him £8 for the pleasure of collecting the duty/VAT.

Thanks for the feedback guys. Basspro sounds like the place to go. This is a family holiday and we will be taking the long road down to the Keys. I'll be packing travel spinning and fly gear and hope to have a dabble when the opportunity presents itself. Any advice would be appreciated!

Steve

Steve, bring lots of money, things are a lot cheaper. My advice is that anything you buy here open and discard the packaging before you take it home. Walmart is also worth visiting for the basics like line, hooks and lures as they can be cheaper than Bass Pro and usually have a reasonable selection.

A visit to Bass Pro Shops is a must!! I went last year to the michigan store, and it was jaw dropping just how big the store was. They had massive tanks with huge Musky you could feed bait samples to, to see how they react.
I picked up some Shimano reels cheap and plenty of lures. I think you are allowed about $300 of products or something to bring back through customs? I spent a lot more than that (not just in Bass Pro!) but luckily wasn't checked both times I've been to USA....Even with import tax it would still be cheap.

Checkout the shimano thunnus 4000, same shape as the 4000d but with ci4 body and uprated gearing. Lead shot is available too. Bas pro xps fluoro is very good. Been stateside a few times and the hunting shops are incredible for clothing, footwear etc, the fire arms will take your breath away but obviously your not there for that. Walmart also stock a large supply of fishing gear at bargain prices. Dont discount daiwa you will find a lot of the reels are renamed ie the daiwa tdr reels are called sierra, I could go on but its just one big toy shop for me.

Just returned from the USA last week and saved myself £350 on UK prices on new waders, boots, jacket and various braids and other tackle. One tip for you do not go over your allowance on the way back otherwise you will be stung for overweight baggage.
Bass Pro at Miami is superb been there a few times but if your up in Orlando try the Orlando outfitters as well as the Bass pro shop there are savings to be had in both.

Steve, if you're flying in via Orlando there is a Bass Pro shop on International Drive just off junction 75 of I4, only problem is it takes you out of your way if you're heading for the Keys. Other shops in Fort Lauderdale and Miami that you pass on the way to the Keys.

Walmart is very good value for lures, lines and accessories.

Basic light spinning gear will get you plenty of sport anywhere along the Florida coast, be sure to use a heavy leader, or wire trace though, very toothy critters about!

Flying into Miami and then heading south. I have found the BassPro website & have located branches in Miami and Islamorada which I will be driving through. Sounds like I will be like a kid in a sweet shop!

Steve

Hi Steve,

The BassPro in Islamorada well worth a visit. Take a look at the huge tarpon out the back while you're there.

Got enough PowerPro braid for the next decade while I was there, plus lures for the killer Loddon chub.

Cheers,

Steve

Sounds like I will be like a kid in a sweet shop!

Steve[/QUOTE]

You will be Steve, have a great holiday! :)

If you like Levi jeans then check out the prices there as well. John Lewis are asking £85.00 for 501's at the moment. Take the labels off and wear them on your journey back to avoid attention from customs.

Many thanks for the advice from everyone which was spot on. Visits to Bass Pro and Walmart saw me splash the cash and I now have enough Power Pro to last for several years. Also bought loads of lures even though I don't do much lure fishing these days! The range of tackle available was incredible and it is difficult to appreciate how important fishing is in Florida until you witness it. Hand feeding tarpon from the dockside in Islamorada was amazing. I caught a few fish from the beach near my hotel in Key Largo but didn't get out on a charter boat to tackle the big stuff. With a group you could justify the cost but on my own the eye watering price of a day charter was just a bit too much. I did have a close encounter with some barracuda whilst snorkeling on the reef and swimming alongside a sea turtle won't be forgotten in a hurry.

Steve

One of the highlights of the holiday was being accosted by two bikini clad american students on Miami Beach. They had been watching my two sons (good looking lads - take after their Dad) going for a swim and overheard our English accents. They were keen to find out where we were from and talked for ages about England and the English. We all got a great big kiss when we left the beach which made an old man very happy. I was in a bit of a daze and forgot to ask them whether they liked fishing.

Steve

If you are into Real Tree and Mossy Oak camo gear, this is also very cheap in Bass Pro, when compared to UK prices. Also check out the general outdoor wear as gortex products are also very cheap.

Basspro Excel Mono line is very good and its cheap as chips (far cheaper than Lone Angler prices). I've found it to be very reliable on snaggy and rocky rivers such as the Wye, where your line takes a battering.

The range of Daiwa and Shimano reels which are aimed at the US lure fishing market is very impressive, most of which you cant get over here. They are perfect for Chubbing and Barbelling, with my previous purchases including Daiwa TDA’s and SOL’s.

Also agree about Islamorada and the Tarpon out the back, the outdoor restaurant next door is also worth a visit.

Back