• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Fishing Safe

Paul Richardson

Senior Member & Supporter
Picking up on Marcos point of fishing safe.
I'm no Health & Safety anorak but do want to get home safely at the end of a session.I owe it to myself and my family.
Last week on the Wye with 4' in it was a reminder. Day one, my very experienced fishing partner almost fell in whilst landing a fish in a familar peg. He wasn't doing anything particularly risky, just momentarily got caught up in the moment - he was very lucky.
On a different stretch we heard of anglers taking tumbles whilst using ropes/dog spikes to get back up slippy muddy banks, and another very experienced river angler showed us some crampons he had adapted to fit over boots/wellies - slightly OTT but worth considering.
On yet another stretch we heard or summer anglers, getting bored, going to the boozer, getting back to the river and falling in swims.Sounds funny but even last week there were lads drinking on the bankside, getting bored then jumping in 2 wheel drive cars and sliding all over on very slippy floodbanks, never mind their own safety by the river.I love a pint but there's a time and a place... I was in a 4X4 in it was struggling for grip on normal road tyres.If in doubt leave the car and walk.
and the thing I am most guilty of is at the end of a long session I overload myself with gear instead of doing 2 or 3 trips to the floodbank. A full rucksack signifcantly affects your centre of balance and it's so easy to lose balance and slide all the way into the river - done it.
Obviously all seasoned anglers will know these things, but in some ways we are most at risk because complacency creeps in. For newer river anglers, autumn/winter fishing can be a revelation but is not without it's risks, many of which can be avoided/reduced. I do look at some winter pegs prior to fishing and ask myself - " How and where will I land a fish, if I went in, how would I get out" and always take a stormpole or 4' bankstick to help traverse steep, slippy pegs. If in doubt, I fish another peg, as Marco says no fish is worth it.

As an extra precaution I always let my wife know which stretch of river I'm fishing and what time I expect to be back. If fishing alone then a quick text to an angling mate or two who know the stretch and my favourite swims, I've given my wife the contact numbers, especially important when I know I won't have a phone signal when I'm on the bank.

On the same theme: let someone know exactly where you plan to fish, especially if you're off the beaten track. Falling into the river might not be as bad a problem compared with breaking a leg/twisting an ankle etc. when you are a long way from your car....particularly if you have no phone signal!

On bigger rivers in high water conditions, seriously consider a life jacket.

The following may also come in handy and I'm not patenting the idea (because I want everyone to make their own). On steep muddy banks, getting out of a river if you've fallen in can be a nightmare (been there, done it). A possible solution is to make what could best be described as miniature ski poles: strong plastic tubing of about 15mm diameter which is the length of your forearm and drilled to take a cord which loops around the wrist. These can be worn up your sleeves whilst looped around your wrists. If you go in the water and have nothing to grab hold of on the bank to get out, you can extricate these, reach up and stick them into a muddy bank and haul yourself up. It won't look pretty but may save you from a sticky situation. Danny Fairbrass will no doubt produce a version with velcro straps in a camouflage pattern, if these catch on. :)

As Paul says, always confirm you can safely net a fish before starting. If you can't why fish the swim? For obvious reasons, a top quality landing net handle is also vital.

As Paul says, always confirm you can safely net a fish before starting. If you can't why fish the swim? For obvious reasons, a top quality landing net handle is also vital.

On a very weedy H. Avon it's often best ( if possible) to place landing net downstream so the fish can be coaxed through the weed. Very easy to forget to check that particular bit of bank for undercuts as well as main fishing position.
You just can't legislate for some people though,... donkeys years ago a few of us were fishing the Severals. A mate fell asleep in his chair,... woke up in a hungover daze, took three steps forward into 5' of Avon. Non swimmer as well.:rolleyes:

On the same theme: let someone know exactly where you plan to fish, especially if you're off the beaten track. Falling into the river might not be as bad a problem compared with breaking a leg/twisting an ankle etc. when you are a long way from your car....particularly if you have no phone signal!

On bigger rivers in high water conditions, seriously consider a life jacket.

The following may also come in handy and I'm not patenting the idea (because I want everyone to make their own). On steep muddy banks, getting out of a river if you've fallen in can be a nightmare (been there, done it). A possible solution is to make what could best be described as miniature ski poles: strong plastic tubing of about 15mm diameter which is the length of your forearm and drilled to take a cord which loops around the wrist. These can be worn up your sleeves whilst looped around your wrists. If you go in the water and have nothing to grab hold of on the bank to get out, you can extricate these, reach up and stick them into a muddy bank and haul yourself up. It won't look pretty but may save you from a sticky situation. Danny Fairbrass will no doubt produce a version with velcro straps in a camouflage pattern, if these catch on. :)

Interesting idea Anthony - there's a lot in that, you've got me thinking. Cheers.

On this topic I have a pet hate of booze on the riverbank and my own personal point of view is that it should be banned. I was downstream of Newark last season when two guys pulled up for a night session, they got more Stella in the car than bait. With heavy rain forecast and the banks becoming slippery it could have been quite a dangerous session. According to them they'd come for a social fishing trip. Fair enough but you don't need booze.
The other thing is that lots of them leave their rubbish for others to clear.

I was surprised that it was allowed as the bailiff clearly understood the ramifications if ,god forbid, one of them had drowned whilst under the influence - HSE & Police investigations, risk assessments, duty of care etc, etc..
To me it was just plain disrespectful - being allowed the privilege to fish one of the most beautiful and prolific rivers in the country and treating it like a park pond outing??? I just don't get it.
We fished hard for 5 days for not a lot of fish for the Wye, endured rain every day but milked every minute out of our sessions from dawn til dusk and the thought of a hot meal and a few ciders in the local at the end of the day just capped off the day nicely -less is more and all that.

I fished the Wye this week and the mud left from the falling river is like ice, very dangerous. No fish is worth your life. I always take a rope and dog spike plus i always wear a 275n crewsaver life jacket.

If its not worrying about your fishing safety! Its walking to a cash point after 8 o clock or going out for a pint to your local"

think its called life :confused:

Having enlisted the help of Google, I find it confusing. Are devices one can wear life jackets or buoyancy aids - assuming there is a difference.

Should one be looking at 150N or 300N or somewhere between, and would this decision be based upon body weight.

Is a device at £20 worth buying, as I can see similar (on the face of it) for £200+

From a mariner's perspective Paul, a lifejacket is considered to be the bulky non-inflating type that if fitted correctly will keep you the right way up and your head above water even if you enter the water face first and are unconscious. There are different manufacturers and ratings for weight.

The inflating types are generally either 150N or 275N, I've had the Crewsaver type for 20+ years. The 275N will obviously give you better buoyancy but we use the 150N as there is a risk of them inflating with a rogue wave as we're climbing a ladder with a real prospect of being thrust off the ladder during inflation with the bigger ones. The 275N ones are of course a bit heavier too.

With the inflating type they can be manually operated or automatic once in water. Mine is automatic but if you find yourself out for hours without a brolly they have been known to inflate.

Value for money/quality? Can't comment, because I wear mine daily for work I can justify the expense of paying top dollar on a brand I trust.

If I was to choose one for angling I'd go for a 275N automatic inflation Crewsaver.

One final point, don't forget to check them at least once a year, the cartridge can be unscrewed and checked that the seal has not been perforated. I change the cartridge annually through a service agent who also issues me with a service certificate for less than £10.

Agree with Gavin there. One of my clubs insisted that we wore life preservers when in the river chest deep cutting out swims on river management duties.
The club supplied them and although I admit to initially thinking bloody H&S again I've found them comfortable and non restrictive.
I advised not to go for the auto inflate as the gas cylinders would be for ever going off.

https://barbel.co.uk/site/vbulletin/forum/members/picture.php?albumid=496&pictureid=6051

https://barbel.co.uk/site/vbulletin/forum/members/picture.php?albumid=496&pictureid=6052

Seems to be this one at 150n ....

http://www.lifejackets.co.uk/produc...l-camo-pattern-gas-fishing-lifejacket-save-20

Thanks Gavin and Dave

Still lots to ponder though. Prices range from £20 to £200+

IF I was to go near a boat (don't do boats :eek:) I'd want 275 N Auto inflate, with an auto-pop-up sick bag

As it's on the riverbank I'd assume 150N would be ok? Perhaps manual inflate better than an auto that doesn't work (bit like having an old fire extinguisher that wasn't checked regularly), except if one was to have a stroke or something manual would not be the best option.

Paul, i have always used beaufort jackets ect,for i little more expensive than some but if it saves your life one day what value:)

Swings and roundabouts Paul. With the manual you obviously must be able to pull the toggle if you end up in the drink. There's been a few tragedies when anglers have suffered heart attacks and fallen in a flooded river,.. or you could be knocked unconscious etc. so auto inflate may save your life in those worst case scenarios.
However, if there is a probability that the sensor may be unintentionally immersed during use then manual is the way to go.
When I was secretary of a large club in the 90's I purchased 10 auto inflates from a Kent chandler for the fishery group guys who used to get in the lakes with dry suits when netting or removing snags etc.
Cost a fortune,... as did the constant cylinder recharging through accidental immersion. The manuals which were cheaper would have been the best buy.
I haven't tried my current model for real, ( I'm pleased to say) but it would certainly be practical for angling purposes and has the auto inflate option for a bit more dosh.

Paul, mine has a toggle inflation in case the auto-inflate doesn't work and also a non-return valve inflation tube for you to blow into as a plan C.

150N should keep you afloat if you enter the water conscious, guess we can't cover all bases, just risk mitigation.

Back