• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Fishing round Newark

Robin Bowes

So, looks like I'll be working in Newark very shortly. I believe there's a largish river in the area - I forget the name ;)

My question: does Newark come under Tidal or Middle?

I shall post any additional questions on the appropriate board.

Thanks!

R.

Middle but only after crmwell weir was built.

Lots to go at

Probably the easiest barbel river in the country at the moment. No finesse required, just pile it in, cast regularly and go home when you are bored of hauling.
It's great the first few times you do it but when you have landed twenty fish in an afternoon a few times it starts to get a bit tedious and you find yourself wishing for something a bit more challenging.

Not quite the sort of thing I'm looking for.

That said, I've always got the Ouse or Derwent if I want a challenge :)

Lol, fill your boots' you'll love it, it's a great water but will spoil you for anywhere else.

PS, I would also suggest that above the Dove confluence is upper, below to Cromwell is middle and the tidal is the lower though the river is tidal for practically half it's length.

think you will find the Wye is easier and while you can catch loads on the Trent there are sections with lone big fish

I think you will find that all rivers have areas which are almost devoid of fish but if you stick to the well known beats on the Trent it is easier than the Wye.
Its the only place I have ever fished where you can still catch several fish in an evening session with an air temperature of -7.

I think Robert was talking about the Welsh/Herefordshire Wye not the Derbyshire Wye which is one of the upper tributaries of the Trent.

...neither of which are anywhere near Newark? :rolleyes:

I must say, I didn't realise Collingham Weir was around that area. Might have to go and get in the queue for peg 1A :)

R.

The afternoon I had 20 barbel I arrived at the river at lunchtime and was enjoying a steak in the Bromley arms at 9pm after walking the three fields to get there.

My biggest fish from the Trent is a 13.6; Not a loner though, I had two others that afternoon.

The -7 was air temp, I'm guessing the water temp was a good bit warmer than that. The venue was the Horsefield on a fish in but the catch was not to my rods; I leave extreme fishing to the young keen lads; I was in the pub. I'm not even sure if I wet a line that weekend.

Last edited:
Twas a bit chilly that weekend....only managed half a dozen myself - fishing 1 rod 1/2 days only ;)

Paul

Back