• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Fishing Negotiations

Howard Cooke

I am sure it's not just me. Work commitments and a young family mean that securing a session on the bank requires delicate domestic navigation and political mauouvering. What strategies do you chaps typically employ? My approach is the point system. It's not official, but based on a sort of understanding. By going above and beyond for a few days in relation to a variety of household matters typically puts me in a pretty good position for a session on the bank. Failing that, I have been known to travel to work in suit and tie, tackle quietly positioned in the trusty volvo, only to leave work early and head for the river. There is a clothing issue to overcome plus how to conceal the evidence of an evenings fishing (typically I am not having to hide the smell of recently caught fish). Is it just me?

im sound im 23 with no house and a very understanding missus who actually comes on the 2 nighters i quite often go on :D

Nice one Howard you made me chuckle:D,yes i've been there always found earning those brownie points does the trick,you've got to keep them sweet or the other option is grow some balls & pay the consequencies.
Don't have a problem now as i work shifts plenty of time off in the week when the wife's at work & kids at school:).
Wayne enjoy it while it lasts a house & kids we certainly curb the fishing.

Had a laugh at that Howard, even let the misses read it:). I fished for 15 hrs Saturday, but it cost me a packet Sunday, she had me out shopping for a bloody corner suite,and that means new decor for the living room:(

Had a laugh at that Howard, even let the misses read it:). I fished for 15 hrs Saturday, but it cost me a packet Sunday, she had me out shopping for a bloody corner suite,and that means new decor for the living room:(

Brilliant. And that's what makes fishing so expensive. Every time I mentally allocate cash for fishing stuff, I need to at least match it for new cushions or worse, another bloody pet.

What strategies do you chaps typically employ?

Book your sessions in advance. As the days count down your position is strengthened all more and reduces the chance on the other party reneging on the deal.

If you book the same day/night each week it reinforces your position all the more.

Brownie point system seems ubiquitous.

Stephen

Boys whats going on? Man up tell her in- doors I'm off fishing, "if you don't like it lump it" end of.

Gulp :eek:Babe if your reading this it was just a joke honest- no your right it's not funny, no I'm not asking for a good slap honest-ouch!:mad:

Malcolm

Boys whats going on? Man up tell her in- doors I'm off fishing, "if you don't like it lump it" end of.

Gulp :eek:Babe if your reading this it was just a joke honest- no your right it's not funny, no I'm not asking for a good slap honest-ouch!:mad:

Malcolm

And babe, just wanted to double check something, I think I have just seen what looks like my clothes and other important possessions and stuff floating down the Kennet. Its not my stuff is it? Is it?

You need to try reverse psychology, keep trying it on with her and eventually she'll get sick and tell you to go fishing. If not, Bonus. A win,win situation :D

I'm pretty lucky that I get out pretty much every sat night and quite often a night in week my wife isn't always over happy about it but I normally point out that I'm still a better husband than her best friends partner , the guy I normally fish with has a tendacy to order his bait etc and send it my house I know it stops him getting earache from his wife

get a divorce it worked a treat for me

but a word of warning on the divorce it can be quite expensive

I'm in the same boat Howard, two young boys (4yrs & 12mth) which has compromised my fishing jaunts a fair bit....
Fortunately a couple of her friends husbands still think they are 18 and staying out all night in the pub and letting there wifes down when they have booked them to look after the kids for one reason or another is pretty frequent which makes me look good.
I tend to remind her from time to time especially when I've got a trip to the river planned :)

Marry a Muslim and then you rule the roost,she'll even carry your gear to the swim and have a lovely curry waiting for you on your return !!!!

There is a clothing issue to overcome plus how to conceal the evidence of an evenings fishing (typically I am not having to hide the smell of recently caught fish).

That problem is sorted by what I do regularly which is not catch anything. If you do catch, baby wipes in the car is a useful cleaner for those smelly hands. The downside being explaining what they are for and why they are in the car.

That problem is sorted by what I do regularly which is not catch anything. If you do catch, baby wipes in the car is a useful cleaner for those smelly hands. The downside being explaining what they are for and why they are in the car.

And presumably, having an actual baby in the car to help explain the wipes, probably just leads to more difficult and awkward questions.

Another ploy that works for me, is to tell her I'm fishing a new stretch of river, and it needs a lot of time and effort,finding out were the fish are holding up.:D

Back