• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Fishing line - what do you prefer?

line

Hi Guys,
Power Pro braid or Gold Label Specimen Mono depending on the swim....both tried and tested,
Regards,

Graham.

Diawa sensor for me too.The stuff has never let me down.
However like Jon I mourn the passing of 11lb sylcast.
Phil.W

ESP carp line is the strongest line I've ever come across, even in 8lb, i reckon i could tow a barge, it's crude but strong.

I use ESP carp line in 12lb and agree with Daves Plumbs last post - very durable and it is keenly priced.

These line tests are interesting and this line does not do too "well" in the Tackle Box tests - i.e. it is more or less the claimed diameter and breaks at pretty much the stated strain (surely the idea after all) compared to some very high recorded actual breaking strains for other lines, such as Sensor which I also use which does not seem anything like as robust when there are rocks and weed about.

I bought some cheap "spiderweb" branded braid of ebay out of curiosity - it is supposedly 0.14mm and 15-lb b/s with a view to using it for short hooklinks - it seemed very strong so my not very scientific test was to grinner knot a large jig head hook to one end and double overhand loop at the other which was sipped over a broom handle. I then lifted a bag holding ever increasing weights until I had a 15kg (33lb) dumbell in it and shook it about quite vigoursly with no beakages after which I gave up. I decided to use it for lure fishing instead.

Presumably massively understated b/s could finish rods off in some scenarios? However 8lb Sensor tied to a fence post can fully compress my 1.75lb test curve rod already - so is the benefit of higher b/s line largely abrasion resistance and crack off protection?

Gardner GR 60 for me in 10lb clear never let me down, had Barbel to over 15lb on it, It has a very low memory try it you will be surprised how good it is.

Regards Ray Thorpe.

Last edited:
I have used soft steel camo and rate it well, Terry Eustace Pro Clear, very good, Power pro braid, very good, X-Line Fluoro excellent but you need to take care of it, Berkely Big Game Clear excellent and this season am using mostly Insight GR60 in 12lb which has also been excellent...........

GR 60 Graham just edited it thanks, do you use the dark or light green GT 80 Graham, I will have to give the 80 a try when i go on the Wye, I had a spool given to me so will give it a go.

Ray

Last edited:
Foxy what happened to the power pro are are you just talking of the WYE???????

John.

I use PP for most of my fishing except rocky bottom rivers. I found that I was losing one fish in 12 on the Wye getting cut off. Changing to the GT80 - 12lb reduced it to about one in 30.

Ray. I use 12lb on really rocky stuff, dark green and light green 10lb on sandy bottoms - for example the Teme. I'm sure the GR60 is probably just as good.

Graham

Choice due to fact of fishing the rocky Trent.

Braid - presently Power Pro, hardy stuff. Mono - GR60 & occasionally maxima

Cheers Jon

Surely, when fishing a rocky river, braid is the worse thing you can use, has very little abrasion resistance............

Fair comment Ian - Just woke up earlier & posted with a dozy head. I should have expanded further. For the rocky middle I use mono GR60 and have used bullet & maxima. For the more open tidal & snag fishing - braid to have the advantage of being able to cast a little further by virtue of its thinner diameter & no stretch with the addition of a mono leader where conditions dictate. Personally prefer the feel of mono tho.

Cheers, Jon

hi guys,
i have been using gr60 for the last 3 years with some success but had a look at big game after so many people rate it, having had a look on ebay it seems that big game is about the third of the price of other leading lines (£4.99 + £2.50 p+p compared to
£15+ for gr60/gt80). i usually believe you get what you pay for but maybe i'm wrong and maybe there is a perfectly good explanation for this???
anyone know why?
cheers, leon

Leon - I've also used GR60 for about 3 years, though I bought some Big Game to try. I was initially impressed as it's very supple and has low memory. If fact, it was a pleasure to use until I hit a fish (on 3 occasions) - then it snapped. Back on GR60 now, which seems far more rugged.

Back