• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Fishing line change

Can’t beat confidence in what you are using Rich. Can never get my head round when people say they fancy a change. I’m a great believer in “if it’s not broken don’t fix it”! I know some of the modern lines have different characteristics, ie sink quicker or float etc so then understand wanting to move away from something used for 10/20 years. Sometimes we’re forced to change when a line is no longer produced.
Couldn’t agree more bill.

Agree with this - distance sticks waaay easier. Also easier to match the diameter of your backing line with the diameter of your proper fishing line (eg. 12lb 0.32 / 15lb 0.35 etc) so you can check against the spools total capacity to quantify the exact length of the backer required and underfill accordingly. . .
I prefer the walking it out method as it helps take any twist out of the line at the same time.

And it’s good exercise. especially saltwater fly fishing reels !

I change mine once a season …. unless it gets damaged ..(Collingham weir wrecks line ) my local is johnson ross and if you buy line there they load your spools for you ..they have a spooling machine and it has a counter so when I buy a spool of GR60 they load up my spools then put a label on the spool to tell you how much is left on there so no garden walking 😁
I then store it in my garage which is a dark cool place… when I say my garage is cool I mean temperature wise not a really hip place to be 😁

space image.jpg

Last edited:
I made myself a couple of line winders years ago, 1 x rotation equals 1 yard. Every reel spool has backing which is loaded to leave room for 100 yards of line of whatever bs the reel is used for . It is an easy job to either load the spool with new line or measure out 100 yards on the line winders, they come in handy for emptying spools ,as well as reverse loading when a new spool needs backing .
As I do lot of beach and boat fishing as well they get used quite a lot as sea line gets a real hammering compared to
freshwater .

IMG_8526.jpeg

They are a bit rough and ready, but work well enough.

You can never have enough Pi.

David .

I made myself a couple of line winders years ago, 1 x rotation equals 1 yard. Every reel spool has backing which is loaded to leave room for 100 yards of line of whatever bs the reel is used for . It is an easy job to either load the spool with new line or measure out 100 yards on the line winders, they come in handy for emptying spools ,as well as reverse loading when a new spool needs backing .
As I do lot of beach and boat fishing as well they get used quite a lot as sea line gets a real hammering compared to
freshwater .

View attachment 24431

David .
That's quality David. Proper old school!! Reminded something my grandad would of done. Nought to do with age.🙄But his educated and intellectual mind set.
Chris.

freshwater .

View attachment 24431

David .
And that Bisley multi drawer cabinet is a rarity these days as well David 😁

about 25 years ago while on holiday in the USA I bought a Berkley spooling station and a little clip on line counter then when the line counter packed up I replaced it with
the ROLLS ROYCE of line counters the brilliant Rapala RCD digital line counter love this it counts in feet though but you set it say 500ft and when it reaches 500 it bleeps and also more importantly it keep perfect tension on the line too
when I used to Carp fish in Europe mainly using 3 or 4 rods at a time I used to get thru a lot of line and changing line was never a problem and so easy
point of interest the plastic spool holder tensioning springy things wore out on the berkley spooling station so I contacted berkley and they sent me 2 sets FOC

Back