• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Fishing line change

Chris Allcock

Evening all.
How often do you change your line?
I've had some berkley big game on my reels 18months now, would you recommend changing it?
Also I do have a spool of said mono on the spool it came on, would that stil be Ok? Again about 18 months old.
Chris.

It depends Chris, if I go to the Wye I tend to change it after each (2 or 3 day) trip. Otherwise it will depend on the swims I am fishing, so if the line has been rubbing on woodwork or rocks, it gets changed.

It is very simple to see or feel line that needs changing and I will always err on the side of caution.

I also have backing on all of my spools so that I only have to change 60 yards or so; that way a bulk spool lasts for ages.

Steve

Evening all.
How often do you change your line?
I've had some berkley big game on my reels 18months now, would you recommend changing it?
Also I do have a spool of said mono on the spool it came on, would that stil be Ok? Again about 18 months old.
Chris.
Hi Chris,
Often is my answer. Unfortunately my Barbel fishing is sporadic with occasional trips to the Wye, Severn, Medway and Trent. With exception to the Trent, where I use Gardner Hydrotuff, I too use Big Game, 10lb BS. Although my Barbel fishing is restricted I do do fish a lot for Tench during the spring with the same 10lb Big Game. Where’s this going you are probably asking yourself 🤣 I’ve changed my line at least three times this spring, the pit I fish for Tinca is weedy, has gravel bars, I’m regularly casting feeders and fortunately I catch the odd Tench and occasional carp so the line gets some clout. Like Stephen I have backing on my spools so only have to change about 100 metres at a time and yes I’ll be changing it it before my first trip to a river 👍

I do have to say it hasn't took much of a battering as I didn't get on the bank much at all last season. But i will change it for some fresh.
Thank you very kindly gents.
Chris.

Mono deteriorates over time whether it’s used hard or not. I change all mine every year condition irrelevant and cut back any damage between sessions as and when.

It doesn’t have to be expensive. There’s no reason why any barbel angler needs any more than 100m of line on a spool.

So back em out and leave the backing on indefinitely.

I load 4 spools up a year (roughly 100m each) out of a £30 1000m bulk spool. It’s peanuts when you look at it like this and you know your always fishing strong.

Mono deteriorates over time whether it’s used hard or not. I change all mine every year condition irrelevant and cut back any damage between sessions as and when.

It doesn’t have to be expensive. There’s no reason why any barbel angler needs any more than 100m of line on a spool.

I load 4 spools up a year (roughly 100m each) out of a £30 1000m bulk spool. It’s peanuts when you look at it like this and you know your always fishing strong.
Same here. Change it every year, and remove damaged line as & when detected.

So glad this question has been asked! Richard, an extra query for you in particular: buying in bulk is obviously cheaper but does the unused line on the bulk spool last long enough to the next season and the one after that?
Not sure where I heard it/read it, but I thought mono line deteriorated over time? 🤔
One other thing. How do you judge when you've wound a 100 metres off a bulk spool?

So glad this question has been asked! Richard, an extra query for you in particular: buying in bulk is obviously cheaper but does the unused line on the bulk spool last long enough to the next season and the one after that?
Not sure where I heard it/read it, but I thought mono line deteriorated over time? 🤔
One other thing. How do you judge when you've wound a 100 metres off a bulk spool?
I know you’ve directed this question at Rich but just to let you know how I look after my line. I keep my bulk spool of line in a drawer away from daylight and in a corner which is at a fairly constant temperature. Regarding knowing when you’ve a certain length wound on! I’ve been known to walk it out over the grass in a local park but that’s me being anal. Just measure how much line a turn on the reel handle takes and count your turns.

Here’s another cheapskate.

Ive line on one of my reels bought more than 25 years ago (Berkeley Trimax) and it’s still fine.

In the 90’s several mates and I imported bulk spools from USA and shared it between us. We paid on a pro rata basis. I kept the reside and still have a little.

Conversely I feeder fished for Stillwater roach a couple of winters ago and I trashed 2 spools of line in about 6 trips.

So I use mine until it is no good -then I replace it.

I also follow Rich’s advice and back out my spools. I’ve marked up a local field and simply measure out the required amount (100 - 280 m) and put that on top.

Thanks Bill. Spot on mate.
My bulk spool comes in a fancy tin. It’s the day light that knackers it mostly and generally being in and out the water etc. I think your bulk spool will be fine for 2-3 seasons if it’s kept as bill mentioned above.

Measure the diameter of your reel spool min and max and take a mean.
X that mean by pie 3.14 is close enough.
Now you know what 1 loop of line around your spool measures x that by the reels gear ratio.
Now you know how much line 1 turn of the handle does …… easy from there.

Or, if you don't want to go to the park or break out the calculator and you have a garden, you could just use distance sticks set 12ft apart and go around them in a figure of 8 25 times for 100 yards. Then wind the line onto your reel spool. If you find it's under or over filled, wind it back around the distance sticks and add or remove backing line before refilling the reel. No need to buy distance sticks - any smooth rod like a length of cane or maybe a bank stick will do.

yeah exactly. It’s £3 to load a spool and just not even worth thinking about. 👍🏻
Just out of interest and me being generally nosey 🤥 what line do you use Rich at thirty quid a pop !!

I've got 6 and 8lb line (bulk spools stored in their original boxes in a cupboard in the garage) that I bought in the late 70's (IIRC) from a tackle that piker Nigel Williams used to own. I check its BS every season and it hasn't changed over those 40 odd years. As Rich says, it's the light that can/will degrade it (more accurately, the UV). Monofilament is basically a thermoplastic plastic, and we all know how long plastic lasts.
The watchword(s) are "Check it" (even fresh out of a new box, that may have been stored in a warehouse for years), and you'll have very few problems.

Fox Exocet Bill in 0.35.
Love it. Used it for years
Can’t beat confidence in what you are using Rich. Can never get my head round when people say they fancy a change. I’m a great believer in “if it’s not broken don’t fix it”! I know some of the modern lines have different characteristics, ie sink quicker or float etc so then understand wanting to move away from something used for 10/20 years. Sometimes we’re forced to change when a line is no longer produced.

I bought a little gadget that clips on my rod and counts how much line I wind on, and reversing it counts it off. It was about £8 off ebay. I strip the old line off using a battery drill. Not sure I could eat 314 pies but cornish pasties, now your talking!

Or, if you don't want to go to the park or break out the calculator and you have a garden, you could just use distance sticks set 12ft apart and go around them in a figure of 8 25 times for 100 yards. Then wind the line onto your reel spool. If you find it's under or over filled, wind it back around the distance sticks and add or remove backing line before refilling the reel. No need to buy distance sticks - any smooth rod like a length of cane or maybe a bank stick will do.
Agree with this - distance sticks waaay easier. Also easier to match the diameter of your backing line with the diameter of your proper fishing line (eg. 12lb 0.32 / 15lb 0.35 etc) so you can check against the spools total capacity to quantify the exact length of the backer required and underfill accordingly. . .

Back