• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Fishing in Crete?

Chris Turnbull

I've just booked a couple of weeks holiday in Crete well away from the popular holiday destinations. Our apartment is virtually on the beach with plenty of rocky coves nearby and also a small fishing harbour. So I am wondering will it be worth taking a travel rod with me. The little bit of info I have manged to find on-line suggests that seas around Crete have been heavily over-fished but nevertheless the idea of spending a few hours here and there watching a float is still appealing. So, has anyone out there done it and, if so, was it any fun and what did they catch?

Hi Chris,

Whilst not Crete, a few years ago i went to Ibiza with my mates. I took a little travel rod with me, and float fished bread in the harbour. I caught a few nice bream. I then tried whitebait, and got bitten off twice by something that took me to school.

Have fun!

Tim

Crete

Whilst again not Crete,I have fished in Samos,and Thassos,both small islands but all sharing the same bit of water with Crete,I would say it is well worth taking a travel rod,I have had good Mullet,Bream,Bass,Wrasse,and have helped a local lad to land Tuna from the rocky promotories,he fished using a 12ft rod,casting a rig as follows. On the business end he had a brightly coloured "muppet" mounted over a size 2/0 hook,the hook trailed about 2" behind the muppet,about 6" up the line from the muppet he had a fixed 2oz barrel lead,then about 3 ft up the line from that he had a cork ball float fixed in place.To fish this rig he cast out as far as he could,then wound in as fast as he could,raising the rod tip sink and draw style,this made the muppet act like a Kona head lure and splash on retrieve,the Tuna were smallish,only 3 or 4 pounds ,but did go well.
Take a rod and reel and enjoy yourself.
Dave

Mmmmmmm...... Its sounding like it could be better than I'd hoped?

Chris, I love talking a cheap telescopic fly rod and fishing for Mullet around the harbours of the greek islands, great fun :)

Back