• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Fishing eddies for chub

Edward Adcock

Senior Member & Supporter
When fishing large slacks with powerful eddies do you let the bait move around or do you nail it down?

"Powerful eddies", i.e, those with turbulence, are not good places to fish IMO. And eddies are often dumping grounds for the river's detritus ... so a moving bait is asking to get snagged. Again, IMO.

That makes sense Terry and I am not prepared to step up to 3oz to hold bottom in one of the few places currently left for me to fish. 2oz ends up under my rod tip if I don't hook a snag.

Check out Mr Crabtree , he loved an eddy , go for it . Eddys may well be full of detritus in a flood but amongst that will be all the worms and other goodies washed in by the flood all swirling around temptingly, attracting fish sheltering out of the main flow.

When I'm chub fishing I like my bait to have a bit of movement as it's working the swim for me. I also find if chub are there it's nearly always a instant bite

Back