• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Fishing close to Malag

Had an apartment in Malaga for last 5 years and brought over youngs Avon travel rod when first purchased but never got round to using it.
Can somebody please point me in right direction for licenses, what can be caught from beaches in Malaga and any river fishing locally.
I understand that the river near the airport, Guadalhorce, is a possibility.
Any methods for beaches would be appreciated as sea novice.

Derek
I'm in Barbados at the moment and having great success with a fox product called Arma Mesh. It's a plastic mesh tube that I fill with ground bait, I put a link swivel on the line, a float stop, and a hook link. My bait is a bit of fish.
I put a stone in the mesh as a casting weight, stick the link swivel through the mesh and fling it out on to the reef. If the mesh is snagged I just pull for a rip. The fish take the bait and the mesh comes back in. Great for fishing over rocks and reef. I made up the full batch of mesh into fishy sausages and use them as required. The bulk of the bait was cereal that had been left in the apartment and the fishy bit was a tin of mackerel in oil. I mashed it all together and filled the tube. I am doing really well off the beach. I use big Raptor hooks and a tough hook length as the reef is unforgiving.
I understand that the rivers have Barbel but I don't know about local regs etc. I think that Graham Eliott has fished for them in the past. It may be worthwhile asking him. Ian Crook goes for the Cats, he may know about permits.
Dave.

Derek I lived in a flat by the beach for a year in estepona, down the coast from malaga. I used a normark rod and reel - bit like pike gear really. I used to buy shellfish from the market and used bits of that. I fished a basic sliding leger set up with flat leads and a rod rest bought from a local tackle shop that allowed me to fish beachcaster style. I caught small fish of about 4 to 8 ounces every trip,which the locals said were a type of dorada - not sure if they were right or not. Anyway, a quick clean up and bunged under the grill ,they tasted great straight out of the sea. Never managed anything of any size. Clean, sandy bottom in the bay-no probs. Have a go, I'm sure you will enjoy it.

Last edited:
I understand the Guadalhorce has barbel and there loads of easily caught mullet all around the marinas up and down the coast there.
I do believe though that to get a licence in Andalucia is a nightmare and you have to take an exam, in spanish.
You need a licence in Spain for sea fishing as well as fresh water.

Heres some reading for you Derek

http://www.andalucia.com/rural/fishing.htm

http://www.theolivepress.es/2007/01/25/angling-in-andalucia/

This is the government website for all regions that you can apply on. After going to the fishing (pesca)one you then have to select river or sea fishing.

http://www.telelicencia.com/

By then choosing a region it then advises what is needed regarding documentation to apply. For example in the Madrid region no additional forms are required and it can be done online completely. Others are more complex.

I just got a license for 3 of us for the Castilla la Mancha region. Online, and all received from Spain in 3 days!!

Good Luck

Graham

Last edited:
Thanks Graham, will try to obtain license online and let you know how i get on

Derek

Just back from Malaga, still not wet a line but have found local angling shop that sells beach license for 10€, back in and will try again.
Guy in shop said that it is "muy complicado" to obtain a freshwater license.

Back