• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Fishing Allstars

Hi all, first time post,long time admirer!!!
I'm just watching Fishing Allstars on ITV Hub while waiting for tea!!! There is an episode where they fish the trent for barbel, it looks a lovely stretch, does anyone know which stretch it is?

Thankyou!

Just watched it. Ladypit farm on a Scunthorpe ticket. A lovely stretch of river, where it splits into two channels with Nabbs island in the middle. Gets busy in summer.

Just watched it. Ladypit farm on a Scunthorpe ticket. A lovely stretch of river, where it splits into two channels with Nabbs island in the middle. Gets busy in summer.
Yeah, Dean Macey fished Collingham weir, it was just that lovely stretch before that. Full of trees,not as wide,fast paced. Just a change to my trent view normally!!

All of the stretch was Ladypit farm, including the weir that Dean fished. I had a ticket for 2 years. Collingham weir pool is much bigger!

All of the stretch was Ladypit farm, including the weir that Dean fished. I had a ticket for 2 years. Collingham weir pool is much bigger!
Ahh right, I've never even tried to get to Collingham, just presumed that was it. Why would ypu give ticket up then?? It looks lovely?

Ahh right, I've never even tried to get to Collingham, just presumed that was it. Why would ypu give ticket up then?? It looks lovely?
I gave the ticket up for two reasons. It can get very crowded in summer. Not really my thing. Also there are not many big barbel. Plenty of smaller ones and loads of chub to over 6lb, a lot more double figure barbel elsewhere. Scunthorpe ticket is only £45 I think and they have some good fishing on the tidal Trent, including opposite the barbel society water.

Dean macey has fished collingham a few years ago. So how that is his 1st trent barbel.
It's does look a lovely stretch thou

Dean macey has fished collingham a few years ago. So how that is his 1st trent barbel.
It's does look a lovely stretch thou
I don't know about Dean Macey but I agree it is a beautiful looking stretch. Not like most of the middle Trent as it is not navigable, fast and shallow. Great spawning place and where Calverton fish farm get the brood fish from. Barbel and chub.

Anothr Trent thread, seems to me the only river that had any Barbel left in it, which is why of course the Angling all stars fish such places, but it for me does not capture the essence of river angling , more sea fishing from a beach.
If your fishing is buzzers pods and bivvys then great, but rest assured all this unfettered pressure can only be harmful to barbel stocks, and even the mighty Trent will go the same was as many other rivers
The amount of exposure that these pegs get is ridiculous, the one in particular where the Trent splits, and did record weights in matches in particular, cast to the island with a feeder...and haul.
Just how long this will continue is anyone's guess, but the Barbel congregate there for a reason, and it's not for the benefit of Anglers.
We are not very good at looking to the future and protecting what we have are we?

Anothr Trent thread, seems to me the only river that had any Barbel left in it, which is why of course the Angling all stars fish such places, but it for me does not capture the essence of river angling , more sea fishing from a beach.
If your fishing is buzzers pods and bivvys then great, but rest assured all this unfettered pressure can only be harmful to barbel stocks, and even the mighty Trent will go the same was as many other rivers
The amount of exposure that these pegs get is ridiculous, the one in particular where the Trent splits, and did record weights in matches in particular, cast to the island with a feeder...and haul.
Just how long this will continue is anyone's guess, but the Barbel congregate there for a reason, and it's not for the benefit of Anglers.
We are not very good at looking to the future and protecting what we have are we?
Have to disagree with you Neil on a few points. Ladypit farm is more like a small river, extensively shallow and weedy with overhanging trees and bends. Also, a lot of anglers, like myself, don't use pods or bivvys. If you are referring to peg 1 at East Stoke, where the division 1 national was won, well it is not heavily fished. Most prefer the bigger fish downstream. There is still plenty of the Trent that is not heavily fished.

Hi Ian, that peg does seem to feature a lot, and what a luxury to concern yourself the smaller Barbel and not the bigger fish elsewhere? Personally any Barbel of any size in any river now is a bonus for many, it does seem the Trent holds all the cards at the moment. My question is are we in danger of over exploiting it's riches? Maybe there should be some thought about not over exploiting, even the Trent will not be able to sustain this sort of exposure.
If it was salmon that were the target, there would be control, but we I am afraid are short on sustainability, just look at the Ouse, Teme, and now the Severn and Wye as rather shameful examples.
The latter there is some concerns about stocks and over fishing with the Wye and Usk foundations limiting the amount of day tickets on its stretches, and for ever monitoring pollution and other factors. I would like to see some sort effort similar to that on the Trent, it surely would benefit future stocks, albeit at some expense to the Angler.
I would never had thought Rivers such as the Severn and Wye would suffer decline so quickly, from what was the blue ribbon status, to now as we see it.
As sure as anything if we continue to reap and not sow then the cupboard will be bare.

as ian said neil that is peg 1 at east stoke with the point of nabbs island in front of you … two points
i would say it’s more of a chub swim than a barbel swim
and you have to be fairly agile to get down to it .. it’s at the bottom of a very high and steep bank
to be fair i’ve never seen anyone in that swim when i have fished the stretch

Last edited:
Hi Ian, that peg does seem to feature a lot, and what a luxury to concern yourself the smaller Barbel and not the bigger fish elsewhere? Personally any Barbel of any size in any river now is a bonus for many, it does seem the Trent holds all the cards at the moment. My question is are we in danger of over exploiting it's riches? Maybe there should be some thought about not over exploiting, even the Trent will not be able to sustain this sort of exposure.
If it was salmon that were the target, there would be control, but we I am afraid are short on sustainability, just look at the Ouse, Teme, and now the Severn and Wye as rather shameful examples.
The latter there is some concerns about stocks and over fishing with the Wye and Usk foundations limiting the amount of day tickets on its stretches, and for ever monitoring pollution and other factors. I would like to see some sort effort similar to that on the Trent, it surely would benefit future stocks, albeit at some expense to the Angler.
I would never had thought Rivers such as the Severn and Wye would suffer decline so quickly, from what was the blue ribbon status, to now as we see it.
As sure as anything if we continue to reap and not sow then the cupboard will be bare.
the demise of the ouse wasn’t over fishing it was our little furry friends

Off the main points of this thread...apologies, but how encouraging it was that two questions were asked yesterday in PMQs regarding pollution in our river's the first was centred on the Wye, and the second a more general one on all our river's, and the illegal dumping of sewage. To use a packed chamber was a great coup and insured reaching a wider audience.
Sick of the pettiness around politics lets get talking regarding the more important issues and the state of our river's being paramount.

Neil, i would imagine the delivery of stock fish that dont make the delivery have to go somewhere, how far is it to the trent from calverton farm?????

Back