• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Fishing a small Backwater

Hi guys i have just joined and im looking for a little advice on how to approach backwaters for barbel
I have been fishing a small backwater for barbel this week with no success
The water is approx 2km in length and probably 12 meters wide on average, its very shallow, weedy and overgrown in parts but there are a few deeper parts and also a weir that i have fished at twice now only catching bream, chublets and dace.
I have been fishing pellets at the weir this week using a cage feeder with a fishmeal groundbait filled with pellets and hemp, ive also switched to a lead and tried meat.
Most of the time I am in one spot not really moving, kinda hoping the fish will come to me if i put in enough hours, is this a mistake? I though I could maybe bait a few swims and move between them though the day?
Im going down again for a session tomorrow morning, if anyone could give me any advice i would really appreciate it

Thanks

Hi guys i have just joined and im looking for a little advice on how to approach backwaters for barbel
I have been fishing a small backwater for barbel this week with no success
The water is approx 2km in length and probably 12 meters wide on average, its very shallow, weedy and overgrown in parts but there are a few deeper parts and also a weir that i have fished at twice now only catching bream, chublets and dace.
I have been fishing pellets at the weir this week using a cage feeder with a fishmeal groundbait filled with pellets and hemp, ive also switched to a lead and tried meat.
Most of the time I am in one spot not really moving, kinda hoping the fish will come to me if i put in enough hours, is this a mistake? I though I could maybe bait a few swims and move between them though the day?
Im going down again for a session tomorrow morning, if anyone could give me any advice i would really appreciate it

Thanks

Impossible question really Iain...or rather one which is impossible to answer definitively. Besides, I think you have partially answered it yourself....you have not succeeded with your current method, so you have already decided to try something different. I would suggest you keep doing that until you find something that does work. Once you do find 'THE' method, could you please PM me with a full description :D

Cheers, Dave.

Back