• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Fishing 2 Rods...Positioning???

Hi Wayne,

So are you roving then when you fish other rivers?

H John,
I don't really rove I tend to perservere with the peg but will pre bait with the catapult in the same swim within casting distance, an hour on each baited area will normally give you indication of any fish in the swim, having said that if I catch 2 from the same peg I will bait up again and move on then come back a couple of hour later hoping the barbel have gained confidence again but there's one peg that's almost guaranteed a barbel or two which is 14ft deep and on a river as wide as a bath is bloody deep lol.
Regards

My initial set up on the Trent would be to cast to 12 o'clock half way to two thirds across, this usually settles at about 1 o'clock..My second rod is cast to 2 o'clock at about a third way across, this usually ends about 2.30..If it kicks off on either I'll stick with that one.
I'll only usually upstream when it's tramming through & stick a bow in the line.

On the smaller rivers like the Swale/Wharfe I do tend to upstream on one rod & keep both rods on the same line, obviously roving is a different kettle of fish:)

I fish with 2 rods, either up down or across - as the swim or conditions dictate.

If I can only fish with 1 rod then the other is left on the bank until I move swims.

Wayne, You said it matey! Do the bream hold up there:)

Hi Dave,

That sounds very sensible to me...

Wayne, You said it matey! Do the bream hold up there:)

Hi John
I hav'nt been bothered by the bream mate, I do pick the odd chub up now and again, but it's mainly barbel averaging 9lb on my local
On the Trent I get bothered by the bream plucking at the bait and they don't really stop till its hooked and my theory behind that is the bream are too small for my bait and the hook pr**k them in the top lip as the bait is too big for there mouth.
Regards

Last edited:
H John,
I don't really rove I tend to perservere with the peg but will pre bait with the catapult in the same swim within casting distance, an hour on each baited area will normally give you indication of any fish in the swim, having said that if I catch 2 from the same peg I will bait up again and move on then come back a couple of hour later hoping the barbel have gained confidence again but there's one peg that's almost guaranteed a barbel or two which is 14ft deep and on a river as wide as a bath is bloody deep lol.
Regards

Wouldn't spraying bait all over with a catapult lower your chances of catching?

On smaller rivers I'd rather concentrate the bait in one area thus hopefully concentrating the fish into 1 area creating competition.

Mark,
It's hard to explain the swim really mate, but been precise with the catapult seems to do the trick for me there's a decent head of barbel in the stretch just very weary, I start by fishing in front of me close up to a tree in a 14ft deep hole whilst pre-baiting out of the hole up to a snag which is about 7ft deep and about 30ft away from the first hole, Iv spent alot of hours and alot of effort in fishing the local.
Regards.

Hi John
I hav'nt been bothered by the bream mate, I do pick the odd chub up now and again, but it's mainly barbel averaging 9lb on my local
On the Trent I get bothered by the bream plucking at the bait and they don't really stop till its hooked and my theory behind that is the bream are too small for my bait and the hook pr**k them in the top lip as the bait is too big for there mouth.
Regards

Oh, what I would give for fit a healthy 9lb Barbel, they don't go much below 11 on my local, averaging about 12 1/2, but few and far between, as you well know John!! :rolleyes:

Oh, what I would give for fit a healthy 9lb Barbel, they don't go much below 11 on my local, averaging about 12 1/2, but few and far between, as you well know John!! :rolleyes:

Swap locals for a few week lol :). I do however believe there may be a couple over 10 but either way they are all fantastic to catch arnt they mate.
Regards

Hi Chris,

No i dont go fishing to read books or magazines and i personally do not use alarms but i have no qualms about anyone using them so long as they are kept at a sensible volume. plus i can manage to concentrate on 2 rods and im older than you..:)

As I said,folk can do what they want ,as long as it is legal,just never found any great benefit in using two,and I reckon you will catch less than one well presented rig,particularly on all those secret southern rivers ,and the named known fish that everyone knows about .

It does make me chuckle reading the coded writings on here :)

Chris,

Please enlighten me matey? I live down south and i dont know about named fish or these coded messages, :(

Chris,

Please enlighten me matey? I live down south and i dont know about named fish or these coded messages, :(

You and me both John....they are issues WAY beyond mere 'fishers for pleasure' such as the pair of us :p

I was vaguely aware of a similar, rather sad 'parallel world' that existed for some while I was carp fishing, but ignored it then as I do now. Just enjoy your fishing mate, and leave all that other stuff to those who enjoy that side of things.

Cheers, Dave.

Not sure whether Chris was referring to my earlier tongue in cheek post :(

Or am I also missing something...........

Back