• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Fishery suggestion?

Chris Jones

As some of you may be aware from comments I've made in other threads, I've been out of the loop for a few months. However, I'm due back shortly and will have a fair bit of time off to go at. With this in mind I'm looking at the prospect of travelling a little further afield than I normally would. What I would like to do is find a day ticket stillwater, preferably that allows night fishing, that holds a decent head of tench and possibly bream. The intention is to get a decent amount of action and the chance to improve my meagre PBs for both species. This doesn't mean huge fish as we are only talking about tench over five pounds. The presence of other species such as roach, rudd and perch to a reasonable size wouldn't go amiss either.
The closer to North Yorkshire the better but I'll travel much further for the right water. So far I've been thinking about Alderfen but I'm open to suggestions wherever they may be.

Thanks in advance.

Chris - i quite like Alderfen but if you're going to travel i'd go somewhere a bit more special. My advice would be Bluebell Lake, Northants. It's full of bream to doubles with an excellent chance of 7 or an 8 and plenty of big tench. You may also catch a nuisance carp or two to 20s! It gets busy but if you can go midweek you might find it quiet and it isn't in the least peggy. A 24 hour sesh should see you right....

Last edited:
http://www.bluebell-lakes.co.uk/
That Bluebell, Graham? Think I may have fished it many moons ago. Thanks for the suggestion, looks a strong possibility. Still fancy a dabble at Aldefen sometime though. Maybe just a long day session though seeing as it isn't a million miles away.;)

Hi Chris,

Have a look at Woodland Waters at Ancaster http://woodlandwaters.co.uk
3 of the 4 lakes don't offer night fishing but the main lake does holds a huge head of double figure bream, carp and i believe tench to double figures although most of the tench are in the matchlake!

Regards

Jason

Its also got a good restaurant and bar so a social tipple and feed after is a must:D

Back