• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Fish teeth identification

Andy Frances

Administrator
Staff member
I found an Otter track that's obviously regularly used on the Bristol Avon at the weekend so had a sift through some of the poo they'd left behind. As well as a load of big scales :( and bones I found these:

picture.php

Any ideas what fish they're from? My guess was small chub...?

Cheers,

Andy F

Andy,

Almost certainly chub mate, but you only have one half of the set.

That said, they don't actually form a 'top' and 'bottom' set of chompers.

They work side-by-side and crush food items against a boney plate in the roof of the throat.

I have a pair taken from the remains of a chub carcass on the banks of the Wye 6-7 years ago. Otter prints were all around the area of the carcass.

Daz.

Edit to add a P.S. The set I have or had (can't seen to find where I've put them now?) are, at least, twice that size and came from a chub I guesstimated at around 3lbs at most judging by the remains.

I'd guess yours came from a fish of not more than a pound?

Last edited:
Sorry I just had to add this.
Quoted from the site that I linked to on the barbel page

Frank Buckland (1880) in "Natural History of British Fishes":

To the anglers of London and the towns on the Thames, as well as to the fishermen of Nottingham, Sheffield, &c., the barbel is a very important fish, affording wonderful sport in the season. Barbel delight prin-cipally in the rapid water below weirs. He is also found in parts of the river where the water runs quickly, scours, and shallows. The barbel is not good food, nevertheless the Jews eat him during their holidays. The eggs of the barbel are said to be poisonous, and to produce the same symptoms as belladonna. Fishermen about Windsor have a horror of barbel's roe, so there must be something in the story.

So it's not the cormorants taking the barbel :eek:

Definatley Chub teeth Andy.

Edit.... if you poke your finger down ones throat you'll find they will make holes in your fingers that match exactly !

Last edited:
They actually look very similar to your bottom set Ian, you didn't drop them in the river with your phone did you?? :)

Back