• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Fish on fruit..

I digress a little, just remembered, many many years ago, a friend had a Tench of about 3lb on a small piece of tomato , it was his first Tench ever. I dont really know what he was actually targeting, but I do know that where he caught it was not on any area where one would expect to see a small tomato segments falling from a plant pot of the things.

Dave

I remember years (45ish) ago my Dad used to take me fishing somewhere near pangbourne on a small feeder river/stream to the Thames.

The river had a cherry tree or 2 and we used to catch loads of chub on free lined cherries possibly 10-20 chub in a session (we never checked for repeat catches in those days so may have only been a hand full we kept catching)

We used to fish early morning for the chub on the little river /stream and then get a punt out in pangbourne weir for the day and float fish and catch more chub,bream,roach etc

I remember it was behind an Alfa Romeo garage or may have been a Lancia one

I drove through Pangbourne the other day and stopped and found a stream but couldn't decide whether it was the same one or not.
It looked too small and narrow but then things looked bigger when we were younger.
:)

Just watched Countryfile this morning and they had a small section on the river with underwater footage and showed chub and roach feeding on all sorts of berries including blackberries

Also mentioned them waiting under the trees and homing in on the sound of the fruit hitting the water...they didn't mention cherries :)

Back