• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

First crack at a maggot feeder

Next little tweak in development and I’m much happier with these.

No the maggots are not real they are plastic……she’d kill me 🤣

I’ve got a couple in the freezer to test their flexibility in very cold water but this is certainly a better looking and performing container over the film canister for the big powerful rivers.
Hinged lid with a proper click …… so no power gum making fill ups a nuisance. 50ml capacity and a cracking full transparent colour
Fitted with my bases and links which as we know …… don’t break. If they come out the freezer and survive a good squeeze/throw up the garden then I’m pretty pleased to say I can shortly add them to the range.
I’m not doing small light one’s mind. You’ve got black caps and Korum for that and I won’t better them. 3 ounce smallest.
DF3131D9-F1E2-4AAB-9E4C-32F66F59620B.jpeg
E52A7EE9-A1C8-47A4-8C8D-FCEF3456D52D.jpeg
BCA2CA28-06D2-4286-865A-0EEA500D4F4E.jpeg

Would be interested in the 3oz Rich and possibly 4oz but nothing heavier as no real need down here on the HA and the Dorset Stour.

Dave
3 oz is the lead weight and it’s the smallest I can physically do before I lose thickness around the link itself.
I have the loop encased in lead so that it’s mega strong but the down side to this is I’m never going to be in the small light feeder market.
If you add on the coating, case and link your at 3.4 oz total weight

Thanks for the clarification Richard. The slightly heavier overall weight is not an issue, just that I won’t have any need or use for anything of 5oz plus on my local rivers.

Dave

Thanks for the clarification Richard. The slightly heavier overall weight is not an issue, just that I won’t have any need or use for anything of 5oz plus on my local rivers.

Dave
Need to re order afew bits then I’ll be able to knock some up. Price is gonna be same as my stainless cages at £3.60 each posted.
Minimum order of 6 ideally. Have a think and let me know.

I‘ll take half a dozen of those as well please, Rich. Any idea how heavy the next size up will be? If around 4.5 oz, I’ll take 6 of those too.

Cheers!

Dave

I‘ll take half a dozen of those as well please, Rich. Any idea how heavy the next size up will be? If around 4.5 oz, I’ll take 6 of those too.

Cheers!

Dave
From 3.4oz up wards you can have any weight you want Dave. If you want 4oz exactly I can do that. If you want 125g I can do that. I do have a couple of grams tolerance obviously but I’m not limited to any weights between 3.4 and 7 oz

From 3.4oz up wards you can have any weight you want Dave. If you want 4oz exactly I can do that. If you want 125g I can do that. I do have a couple of grams tolerance obviously but I’m not limited to any weights between 3.4 and 7 oz
Please put me down for 6 of the 3oz please
PM when you need paying
No panic
Cheers

Gents I’ll gladly take your orders but it’s gonna be a week or 2 before I get started. I’ve literally ran out of everything from swivels to powder etc.

Thanks, Richard. 4.5oz will be fine.👍

Dave

Next little tweak in development and I’m much happier with these.

No the maggots are not real they are plastic……she’d kill me 🤣

I’ve got a couple in the freezer to test their flexibility in very cold water but this is certainly a better looking and performing container over the film canister for the big powerful rivers.
Hinged lid with a proper click …… so no power gum making fill ups a nuisance. 50ml capacity and a cracking full transparent colour
Fitted with my bases and links which as we know …… don’t break. If they come out the freezer and survive a good squeeze/throw up the garden then I’m pretty pleased to say I can shortly add them to the range.
I’m not doing small light one’s mind. You’ve got black caps and Korum for that and I won’t better them. 3 ounce smallest.
View attachment 18991View attachment 18992View attachment 18993
They look spot on Richard, if I hadn’t recently stocked up with some of Fiskys feeders (which are also great) I’d be asking for some…count me in as a future customer though

F08385F9-9E2E-435D-B8A2-51B7F9B88201.jpeg
Looking great. Managed to fluke an awesome feature with these enclosures that I have never seen on another maggot feeder……One handed opening, filling and closing.
These also won’t open unexpectedly because you can’t flip the lid open with your fingers. You squeeze the sides of the container to pop the lid open.
I also tested one to destruction…… these cases take a lot of sqaushing and twisting before they split.
Think I need to cast one into Elton bridge and see what they can really take 🤣

View attachment 19031Looking great. Managed to fluke an awesome feature with these enclosures that I have never seen on another maggot feeder……One handed opening, filling and closing.
These also won’t open unexpectedly because you can’t flip the lid open with your fingers. You squeeze the sides of the container to pop the lid open.
I also tested one to destruction…… these cases take a lot of sqaushing and twisting before they split.
Think I need to cast one into Elton bridge and see what they can really take 🤣
These look great! I go through loads of the Korum Combi feeders for maggot fishing and either lose them or the gum perishes (quickly) which means fiddly DIY replacements and a nearly impossible exercise to knot at the previous 'tension' that keeps both ends caps in place. If your flip cap lasts longer than one of these I'll be in the market for a few!

Can you drill some holes in the closed end and one in the cap without weakening it to get a bit of 'flow' through?

These look great! I go through loads of the Korum Combi feeders for maggot fishing and either lose them or the gum perishes (quickly) which means fiddly DIY replacements and a nearly impossible exercise to knot at the previous 'tension' that keeps both ends caps in place. If your flip cap lasts longer than one of these I'll be in the market for a few!

Can you drill some holes in the closed end and one in the cap without weakening it to get a bit of 'flow' through?
Yeah I can put holes where ever is required.

I’ve got lots of the Korum combi feeders in the smaller weights and they are just too quick release for my liking. I tape them up nearly every time I use them or I simply lose half the fill before I’ve cast it out.

Idea of size here is mine next to the Korum
E1F99CC8-735C-454C-8D46-6E2E1AE9C72F.jpeg

Mines a tougher plastic that’s for sure but plenty flexible to cope with anything we’d need
4C7C1479-A51C-4169-867C-0A1C36B29CE6.jpeg

Hi Rich, i hope your gonna tidy them holes up a bit, or the poor maggots may scratch themselves on the way out. ;)
🤣😁

Hi Rich, i hope your gonna tidy them holes up a bit, or the poor maggots may scratch themselves on the way out. ;)
🤣😁
They’ve been completely de burred what you can see is the ring around the outside of each hole where I’ve spun a oversized drill bit to remove the burr.

Back