• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Finding Winter Barbel

Adrian Garside

Hi Guy's,

Looking for some help and advice trying to find a Barbel or two in the winter months, I fish the River Dove and over the years have learned where to find them in the summer and Autumn. In the past I have changed target species or not fished at all when the frosts come but would like to change that?
Any advice will be very much appreciated.

Thanks, Ade.

Hi Ade,
First you have to consider the nature of the Barbel.
They are cold blooded, and so cold water makes them lethargic, this means they'll look to hole up somewhere they feel secure, don't have to expend much energy, and where a food supply is close to hand.
That said when they need to feed they will go looking for it if they have to, they must feed at some point even if just a little no matter how cold the water is.
If you can look for obstructions which reduce or divert the flow, and fish downstream of them, all the better if dying weed beds are close by which will still hold food.
Essentially everything that rules their life in summer still does in winter, but security and available food become increasingly important.

When the river is flooding, these areas become even more essential for them, as they'll be looking for areas where they wont be getting battered by drifting debris, - everything from twigs to whole trees.
Try to put yourself in the Barbels position, and you wont go far wrong. Remember though it is winter, and much harder whatever you do, getting to know your river in winter is your biggest advantage, and that just comes from getting out there - much like any other time getting to know it's moods ;)

Ian.

Thanks for the reply Ian ;) one thing I hadn't considered was the lethargy and the fact I will probably not attract them to me, more likely i need to be fishing almost on top of them, will definitely try out the sanctuary's they use in flood conditions.

Cheers, Ade. :)

Hi Ade,
First you have to consider the nature of the Barbel.
They are cold blooded, and so cold water makes them lethargic, this means they'll look to hole up somewhere they feel secure, don't have to expend much energy, and where a food supply is close to hand.
That said when they need to feed they will go looking for it if they have to, they must feed at some point even if just a little no matter how cold the water is.
If you can look for obstructions which reduce or divert the flow, and fish downstream of them, all the better if dying weed beds are close by which will still hold food.
Essentially everything that rules their life in summer still does in winter, but security and available food become increasingly important.

When the river is flooding, these areas become even more essential for them, as they'll be looking for areas where they wont be getting battered by drifting debris, - everything from twigs to whole trees.
Try to put yourself in the Barbels position, and you wont go far wrong. Remember though it is winter, and much harder whatever you do, getting to know your river in winter is your biggest advantage, and that just comes from getting out there - much like any other time getting to know it's moods ;)

Ian.

Perfect.................

Just as a note! not wishing to raise arguments etc all coarse fish are cold blooded so this would mean all fish would be the same. We all know that Chub and Grayling will feed in the harshest of condtions.

Just thought I would add that into the melting pot!

Just as a note! not wishing to raise arguments etc all coarse fish are cold blooded so this would mean all fish would be the same. We all know that Chub and Grayling will feed in the harshest of condtions.

True Brian, but Ade was asking about finding, and fishing for Barbel not Chub or Grayling.
I'll add Pike, and perch to your list :D

Ian.

Brian roach will feed in cold weather as well :)

Hopefully its not yours Jim. Whats it like where you live. We,ve been quite lucky in the Liverpool area, ( touch wood ). The odd flooded road here and there, but i think the houses have escaped any real damage.

Went on the Dove yesterday for a few hours Ian :) Armed with the knowledge of needing to find new slower area's to fish i settled down at the beginning of a large bend. Even though the river was carrying water the inside area was calm and not boiling, fished two rods just off the crease of the main flow for a couple of hours without so much as a knock.
It was chucking it down and i didnt really want to leave the sanctuary of my brolly but decides a move was in order, grabbed a rod, rest, landing net and a few bits and headed off upstream until i came along a couple of trees on my bank with the top tree slowing the flow down. Lowered my bait down near the base of the lower tree, took almost an hour before my paste was picked up and the tip started to pull around and it was barbel on, immediately im thinking YES my first December Barbel, but my delight turned to despair as my line went slack when it went for a second run! Gutted absolutely gutted to find the hook had pulled :eek::eek:
Stayed for another bite-less hour before heading home with my tail between my legs....

But you moved, you tried something different and you location and bait worked. So you should be giving yourself some credit.

I agree with Howard (you chose the right spot for the right reasons). Unlucky not to get it in!

Bad luck Ade :eek: it happens to the best of us, you have to pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again LOL ! :D

Ian.

Back