• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

finding the impossible Boot ??????

Gerry Giles

Senior Member & Supporter
Is the Angling world missing a trick ?

let me explain I dont like clod hopper boots with laces that take time to put on and take off as most of my fishing when Im able is a 300 mile round trip so needs to be a 48 hour job
I love the mid length muck boots as can just point my toe in and they are on and just as easy to ge off when I reel in and jump in the bag
HOWEVER
I have decided they are far to dangerous to wear on anything except a dry flat surface ! or you will end up on your back in a flash they have ZERO grip
if they did a Slip on boot with studs or something that would give an PROPER safe grip on a wet muddy slope they would be on a winner

OR ? is there something thats already on the market that does cost more than I pay for my cars 😂

I am with you there Gerry I have a pair of Jack Pyke Tundra boots and Derri slip on Muck type boots, neither on a steep, wet mud bankside fill you with confidence. I am seeriously thinking of wearing my waders which at least have some studs (failing that I will dig my old rugby boots out :))
I will be watching this with interest.

Fella's have been wearing crampons on the Wye for years and years. Steep-sided banks on a river the floods continually dropping slimey slippy silt everytime it does....
They work a treat and easily fitted to strong sturdy boots.

Whilst I reckon Muck boots are poorly made and not built to last I've found grip/thread on them very good, one of the best bits about them.

I think the simple fact of the matter is that on the silty soils you invariably find by rivers there isn't a boot on the market that will offer any meaningful extra grip. Silt and when combined with clay becomes really silky smooth when wet and it just blocks up the tread and you may as well be wearing skis. Crampons in those conditions are really the only solution. And a rope and dog spike.

I reckon the banks on the Upper Trent are as treacherous as any I've encountered...I very nearly ended up in the drink last season.

If I'm just in boots, one thing I do is to always have a spare brolly peg by my chair. And whilst watching my motionless rod tip I use it to clean out the tread on my boots. Helps a little bit. But nothing beats crampons.

If its slippy, I tend to grab some of the dead bankside undergrowth, be it dead nettles,docks or branches and drop it parallel to the river... better than slipping 10 foot down a bank.

Been using the Bison BearClaw studded ankle boots for a number of years but recently bought a pair of these

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BISON-BE...9-8d5c-4472-971a-fb8151fd6aaa&redirect=mobile

They are good for 90% of the time but I do keep a cheap set of crampons in my bag for really extreme conditions. The ankle boots are cheaper than Dereks Snowbee’s BUT are not good for keeping my feet warm. With both the ankle boot and the studded welly’s get a size larger (at least) than you would normally wear.

My Muck Boot Arctic Sport boots are about 6yrs old and have lasted very well with no signs of giving up yet. Grip is the only minus point on mine but I understand the newer ones have improved grip. Obviously not to the level of crampons though.

Crampons: as well as the above advice, you'll need some gloves when pulling them back into place and cleaning them whilst on the river. It's a dirty job and they do have a tendency to slip, especially on steep ground.

If anyone is still happy with wellies I can recommend these - https://www.bekina-boots.com/en-gb/...olidgrip-without-safety-toe-cap-o4-green~142/ really grippy & a wide fitting.
StepliteX_SolidGrip_O4_green_pairSole_lowres.jpg

Back