• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Fighting fit fish

Steve Double

Anyone else finding the fish are fighting that bit harder this season, or has the close season played tricks with my memory?

The usually hard-but-fair Loddon barbel are suddenly roughing it up like their Wye cousins. Wye chub have become right tearaways, and 4-5lb Wye barbel are initially feeling like fish twice the weight.

I'm wondering whether months of fighting the flood water has seen them pack on a bit of extra muscle?

Either that or I've just got weaker from too much sitting around on stillwaters.

agree, Wye barbel were ripping the top round and screaming line of the clutch in one movement, great stuff.

Severn fish seem to be fighting harder too, my theory is they spawned early this year so they are better recovered, no red flanks or hollow bellies on the fish I've had.

Thought it was just me and my memory hahaha, the fish I've had so far on the Colne have been punching well above their weight

Your not wrong Rob...I have only been able to get out the once, few hours from midnight onwards on opening night on the Colne. Just the one fish, a low double, but it fought like a demon :)

Cheers, Dave.

Great way to start the season Dave, nice one! I'm with Steve, an early spawning has helped and we had a fair bit of rain in the weeks leading up to the start - a good flush through has helped freshen up the whole river. Great to be back.

Just the one for me but it fought harder then any other Barbel I can remember. The condition of the fish was superb too, could it be the Otter is 'conditioning' Barbel by thinning out the less fit?

Back