• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Feeling the strain....Barrows

Graham Elliott

Senior Member & Supporter
Finding I am tending to be lazy with swim choices. Age thing🙄😊😣

So any suggestions for something with wheel/s to load my bags and bait on.

Ideally under £60 and fold flat. Looked at a few online but want something robust.

Ideas?

If it's just for day sessions, the Korum compact is good. My mate actually used to get enough on for two night sessions. Bed on first with legs unfolded to increase load space.

fox match barrow platform rock solid if you can find one I can walk miles to pegs now ive got one picked it up second had for £80

I use a Carp Porterlite 2 Graham. You need to weigh up the differences between one or two wheels, mine has one. Mine folds flat but the wheel will always take boot space up. Shame you didn't ask last week on the LS, as I keep mine in the car. Use mine to keep the weight off my shoulders, as if i carry everything, it can set my heart racing trouble off. Still takes effort to push in heavy mud though, but strain is on my torso and back, which is ok.

I know absolutely nothing about these things but I would of thought for £60 you aren’t getting much at all.

£60 and Robust!
seems very low, for a robust tackle barrow to me. Explore the second hand market possibly

its over your budget but maybe a second hand one ?
Prestige Carp Porter Porterlite 2 is the daddy

Depends how much you are taking. I have 3 different wheeled vehicles. One is a match trolley to take a seatbox and carryall, one is a carporter barrow with rear wheels and one is an ordinary folding fishing trolley which has proved fairly robust and takes chair, rucksack and big bait bag . Its light, small, easily manouverable and is my preferred option for day trips. One thing however is that they tend to have a short axle and can turn over on bumpy ground so a I bought a longer round steel bar to make a longer axle. Also you have to be careful that your rucksack does not droop at the ends and act as a brake on the wheels (just noting pros and cons). In your situation I might buy for £40 eBay item number:
332491499114 FOLDING FISHING SEATBOX TROLLEY COMPLETE WITH TROLLEY BAG which has wide wheels and bagging it avoids mud in the car. As I get older I would like a sit on - on one Wye trip at a golf course they gave us a sit on golf cart to use!

Firstly, a sensible decision to recognise you now need 'assistance '. I started using a trolley 15 years ago when I realised my back was sore even before I started fishing. This has allowed me to continue enjoying my hobby in the intervening years ( struggling a bit now, mind). My trolley has proved to be pretty much indestructible, wish I could say the same about myself🤣). Good luck with your choice.
Regards,
G.T.

I bought one of below recently (£35), but it's still in the box (and may stay that way!). I've never used a 'transporter' to get my gear to my swim before, as I tend to fish 'light'. I bought it for winter fishing really, as my main 'problem' is sweating-up' on walk to the swim. I reckon it'll be big enough for my chair and my Korum Compact Ruckbag, but no idea how rod quiver will be best secured to it. Bungees??

Depends how much you are taking. I have 3 different wheeled vehicles. One is a match trolley to take a seatbox and carryall, one is a carporter barrow with rear wheels and one is an ordinary folding fishing trolley which has proved fairly robust and takes chair, rucksack and big bait bag . Its light, small, easily manouverable and is my preferred option for day trips. One thing however is that they tend to have a short axle and can turn over on bumpy ground so a I bought a longer round steel bar to make a longer axle. Also you have to be careful that your rucksack does not droop at the ends and act as a brake on the wheels (just noting pros and cons). In your situation I might buy for £40 eBay item number:
332491499114 FOLDING FISHING SEATBOX TROLLEY COMPLETE WITH TROLLEY BAG which has wide wheels and bagging it avoids mud in the car. As I get older I would like a sit on - on one Wye trip at a golf course they gave us a sit on golf cart to use!
Like the last one Ian. Is it pretty tough? Be ok for maybe 20 sessions over mixed ground a year?
Bag for groundbait too.

Have gone through the same process Graham, triggered partly in my case by age but also access in winter. Muddy fields mean restricted access, even with a 4x4, so I bought a cheap 2 wheel TFG barrow some years ago. Have found it a bit of a struggle lately, often my own fault for taking the kitchen sink. I'm thinking of a single wheel Carp barrow (even considered a powered one) as some of the best swims are only accessible after a long walk. I did the ligament in behind my right knee and found it difficult to get to swims, so I decided to weigh my standard kit to see if I could reduce the weight I was carrying. Unhooking mat, landing net and chair=15lb. Quiver with 2 rods set up, landing net handle, banksticks and brolly=15lb. Shoulder bag with bits and pieces, bait and my food and drink=15lb. Carrying 45lb of gear, walking through soggy fields in wellies at my age is a big ask, hence the barrow.

I met an angler on my travels yesterday who must have been close to 6'5''. He was unhooking a small pike and asked me to pass him his jacket on the back of his chair. It was so heavy I thought I had picked up the chair as well. I doubt his radio would have fitted into my rucksack and I am sure I could have lived in his hold-all. His tucker would have lasted me a week.

I've got a jrc barrow you can have if your interested, I reckon it's 2 years old, like new and it will be under £60.

Thanks for all the useful Comments.
It's really only for my bag....small but heavy and chair plus food/ bait.

Happy with rod/s bag on shoulder. So probably trolly lighter option.
Anyone seen the Bison one at 35 delivered. Seems similar to NGT at 10 more?

Paul Ashton. Yes Paul.....same reasons. Last week stayed by entry area although given high water knew 700 yard walk would probably double catch.

Cheers Jaz but probably too big/heavy for needs

Last edited:
Graham, do you have a Korum chair? If so maybe take a look at the Korum chair barrow kit...might be an option?

I bought one of below recently (£35), but it's still in the box (and may stay that way!). I've never used a 'transporter' to get my gear to my swim before, as I tend to fish 'light'. I bought it for winter fishing really, as my main 'problem' is sweating-up' on walk to the swim. I reckon it'll be big enough for my chair and my Korum Compact Ruckbag, but no idea how rod quiver will be best secured to it. Bungees??

I had one v similar to the NGT model for times when I would have extra stuff and couldn't get on with it. Found it hard to load effectively with a bag (a box would have been OK) and it wasn't very stable. Bought a second hand daiwa barrow last year like the one Jason mentioned and it's been OK. Only criticism is that the wheel is a faff to remove and being steel the frame could be weighty to put in and out of the car.

Back