• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Feeder tutorial

Richard what a cracking read and amazing instructions thank you for sharing. I'd love to do this and make feeders however I barely get to fish the rivers so wouldn't be worth my while. I'd be all over that if I did. You'd really get customers selling them on here though cheers Jon

Richard what a cracking read and amazing instructions thank you for sharing. I'd love to do this and make feeders however I barely get to fish the rivers so wouldn't be worth my while. I'd be all over that if I did. You'd really get customers selling them on here though cheers Jon
I’ve sold a lot through this site. Definitely well into the hundreds I’d say. It’s about time I gave a little back and give people opportunity to make their own.
Well……. Saying that, anyone can make a feeder and it will work fine despite however it’s put together.

Thanks Richard, great stuff.

I am making my own feeder now as well. But in a much simpler way like this, the result is not as nice as yours though.

It’s a fantastic way to do them for yourself and equally as productive as any fancy ones. Remember I make them to sell for a premium price so I can justify spending more time on them.
One big advantage I would recommend for you especially if your not coating them is switching to stainless steel.
It’s much stronger and makes a far more durable feeder. Galvanized steel is just too soft imo unless your coating it then it’s fine.

It’s a fantastic way to do them for yourself and equally as productive as any fancy ones. Remember I make them to sell for a premium price so I can justify spending more time on them.
One big advantage I would recommend for you especially if your not coating them is switching to stainless steel.
It’s much stronger and makes a far more durable feeder. Galvanized steel is just too soft imo unless your coating it then it’s fine.
Great advise, thanks Richard.

Recently, I lost 1or 2 feeders every season, so you are right, I don't want to spend a lot of time and money on making them.

Hi Richard thanks for the fantastic post and very generous of you to give such a comprehensive build breakdown.
I cast and coat all our leads for carp fishing. Iam definitely going to give your feeders ago.
Maybe feeders made out of a roll of mesh should see me out🤣

Hi Richard - AMAZING post, thank you so much for sharing you methods. Would love to order some feeders from you (I think you mentioned March). Best wishes!

Any weight or limit(s)?
50g or around 1.5oz is the smallest
6.5oz is the biggest I can do at the moment.

My feeders have a tolerance on weight of around 5-8g because of the way they are cast. So a typical 3 oz 84g feeder could very well be 79g or 89g and still pass as a 3oz feeder for me.

Length- 2 sizes. 40mm small and 52mm large
Diameter any sizes tend to stick with…………… 16 squares small, 18 squares medium, and 20 squares large.

Colours - I have 8 different colours but if you ain’t sure just opt for brown. Brown goes with everything.

I've got some of Richards feeders and they are very well made. He made some smaller ones for me for fishing the Dove, but unfortunately, I haven't fished it much this season so haven't had chance to use them too often.

That’s the lightest I can go to.
This one is right on my lower limit of 45g total
7E4F816F-B7E0-41D1-8B9C-667575CEDD8A.jpeg

Back