• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Feeder rig

Tried a couple of drennan grippa stops this weekend, work a treat

Put the mainline through the front of the eye of the hook, then tie the hair loop as normal with a hair rig (trim the tag end off), then simply tie a Dumhoff whipping knot in the usual way and when you've whipped it until you'll only get one more turn (in other words you've whipped it nearly down to the actual hair loop), then pass it through the loop like you do when finishing the Dumhoff knot and tighten! After a couple of goes you'll have it down to a fine art and it's easy to get the hair the exact right length depending how much (or how little) line you leave before you poke it through the loop (how many whipping turns you've done), then just tighten it as normal.

Does anyone else do this? I have found it to be faultless - and it's a 'proper' knot!

I haven't read this whole thread so I apologise if someone else has already mentioned this obvious solution :D

Last edited:
Back