• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Feeder rig

Ian Murfin

Hi gents,

I'm planning on using feeders a bit more this year than last, i think i remember seeing a straight through rig somewhere where the feeder can be slid up and down to give an adjustable hook link length.

Has anyone got any ideas how this is achieved?

Smurf

Hi,
Thread your feeder onto main line or a quick change swivel then a rubber bead followed by a John Roberts ledger stop (dont push the pin in too hard) then tie on your hook.
Simple but works.

Do you mean float rubbers Mark? Do they grip well enough?

On the same subject whats the best way to tie on a hair if you are fishing in this way?

Do you mean float rubbers Mark? Do they grip well enough?

On the same subject whats the best way to tie on a hair if you are fishing in this way?

No, they are small plastic barrells with a pin that holds traps the line, you can move them up and down quite easily by slightly releasing the pin. Good bit of kit.

Dependant on the weight of the feeder, you can use a 5mm bead in front of a couple of Drennan gripper stops (slid onto the line back to back), better than a ledger stop in my opinion as it doesn’t damage the mainline in any way.

Tom

Dependant on the weight of the feeder, you can use a 5mm bead in front of a couple of Drennan gripper stops (slid onto the line back to back), better than a ledger stop in my opinion as it doesn’t damage the mainline in any way.

Tom
as above
stopped using ledger stops, they pinch the line and snap!!:mad:
rubber gripper stops,small ones on big line, they don't tend to slip to much but only just a little,
if you have a biggish swivel try put one of these in front of the small one..
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/30-X-SLID...tingGoods_FishingAcces_RL&hash=item2563fbc383

I have tried allsorts of float stops in the past, the only ones I have found to be any use for stopping leads and feeders are the Drennan grippa stops, the rest tend to be too soft in the rubber resulting in the feeder slipping down to the hook and smashing the fish in the face when you strike! :D

Thanks for the feedback, regarding tying a hair would you recommend tieing to the eye or whipping onto the shank, if so how?

You can't use a knotless knot if the hook is tied direct to the mainline.

I have a friend who uses Drennan ledger stops on his mainline and he whips a hair onto his hooks at home with the aid of a fly tiers vice.

I cant quite picture how to do this? I was planning on tieing the main line to the hook with a grinner

You can't use a knotless knot if the hook is tied direct to the mainline.

I have a friend who uses Drennan ledger stops on his mainline and he whips a hair onto his hooks at home with the aid of a fly tiers vice.

Good point Ade :p....I never do tie my hooks direct to the main line, so that never occurred to me....brilliantly daft thing to say actually, now that I think about it :D:D

Cheers, Dave

Thanks for the feedback, regarding tying a hair would you recommend tieing to the eye or whipping onto the shank, if so how?

Take your hook and with braid or light mono make a hair loop, tie a knotless knot as if you were tying a short hooklink, when you go back through the eye to finish the knot tuck the loose end back through the last loop if that makes any sense thus securing the knot, now you can tie your mainline to your hook. Sounds very complicated but it really isn’t. The other way I have done it is to tie a spade end whipping knot or a domhoff in my hair material then just attached my mainline to the hook.

Give it a go, or just use a separate hooklink!

Thought you might say that, give it a go it really isn't that hard, I am not a fan of pellet bands as in my experience the crayfish seem to love the latex and Chub can nick your bait, unless you thread the band through the bait, but then you may as well have just used a hair!

Back