• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Feeder Mixes

Its not a technique I use much other than on bigger rivers but...
Upstream rod with Feeder mix (tuna helps upping the carp and Bream catch!)
- cast frequently for first 1.5 hours then slow down.
Downstream rod - on the same flow line uses minimal PVA bag - rarely cast
Upstream rod catches more fish
Downstream rod catches more Barbel.

Vitalin in the Feeder Mix is OK if you want loads of Bream
I tend to use a combination of milled Pellets, small Pellets and a stick mix that compliments the downstreamn rod.

Smaller rivers and I am casting to features with small PVA bags only.
Its really a case of "Dont Feed off what you want to catch!"

Quite a lot of time on the wye i use big feeders filled with 6mm or 8mm pellets and some times i even use mole hill soil just to add weight and colour to the feeder and it seems to be working a treat . If it aint broke dont fix it .

Lewes

If you are fishing the Medway(Kent) for barbel then I dont feel a feeder is appropriate for such a small river with a low density of barbel.
Also regular casting and the disturbance will not work in your favour.
Your current tactics of PVA and bait droppers are the best bet as accuracy and flow generally is not a problem(if Medway)
If in high water however I would use a feeder down there.

Barbel are not that easy to come by down there so I expect its just a matter of timeand more time before you get into 1 or 2.

If fishing the "weirpool" which lets face it gets slaughtered all season then offer something a little different to traditional barbel baits.perhaps unusually small piece of meat or worm.
Bigger rivers like the Wye or Severn however will respond to feeder tactics, I guess would be the general opinion.
Regards Mark

Back