• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Feeder Mixes

Mick Brown

I have seen all sorts of mixes used in feeders, one favorit seems to be vitalin + bits and bobs. What do you chaps recommend and why?:confused:

It has to be cheap! Vitalin for me is a cheap ingredient (complete food) which acts as the main binder. Add the likes of (wet cooked) hemp & pigeon conditioner, ground pellet, mixed pellet (on the bank so it does not turn into a mush), broken hook baits, etc. Principle being to create a bed of plenty of bits & bobs for some preoccupation.

Add the likes of vitalin & ground pellet to achieve desired consistency for leakage from the feeder. Be mindful that some ingredients can bring on the bream...

When the water starts to get cold i am going with soaked elips pellet mush method type mix if i need to stiffen it a bit i will use hemp and hali crush, looking for smell and little feed......

Feeder mix

I agree with Dave Hall, Brown Crumb is a tried and tested binder, I mix in Hemp, Micro Pellet and some Corn. Cheap and simple.I also use the hemp water to dampen the mix at home before I set off, that way I know that the mix is the right consistency.
Works for me.

Dave

Nice and simple, 1/3 fishmeal, 1/3 ground hemp, 1/3 of whatever ground pellet I'm using on the hook. When mixed with an egg makes a reasonable paste wrap too. Bit like John, looking to attract and not feed.

Ive never used feeders when attempting to catch barbel i've always used pva bags or a bait dropper. Is this why i barely catch much LOL. Is it highly recommended to use the feeder method?

cheers

Fishmeals have always worked in winter - you just need to be careful about oil levels.
These days you can get LT Fishmeals that are more effective in cooler climes.

I use a feeder for most of my Lower Severn trips....in the feeders I use a mix from Hinders in Swindon called Barbel Bomb - it works!!

Paul

Paul,

I have heard a few whispers about the barbel bomb multimix do you fish it as a method mix???

John,

I dampen it down into a cage feeder on the Severn and dampen and dropper it in on the Teme....I have observed a marked upturn in feeding fish at my feet in gin clear water with this stuff. It is on the expensive side but if it works....?

Paul

I have seen all sorts of mixes used in feeders, one favorit seems to be vitalin + bits and bobs. What do you chaps recommend and why?:confused:

hi mick, over the years the most consistent feeder mix for my mates and me has been the dynamite marine halibut groundbait instead of water we mix it with premier baits salmon oil and a tin of tuna in brine, they love it mick. i have tried them all and the dynamite one is definately the best. in my opinion vitalin seems a lot more successful with carp than barbel. mick, which model of okuma reel did you tell me you had?

Hey terry
You drop a can of tuna into your groundbait? like the carp lads?. might give it ago!!

Lewis i use feeders big ones on a very small river!! and ive been doing all right this year !.
But using big hook length and leaving it in the water for a long time. knowing there is a good trickle of bait going down the swim.
One trip i cast out went to wind in the slack line and the rod went and it was a 6lb barbel. The feeder hit the water and within a minute i had a fish on.

cheers jamie

Last edited:
Hi Terry,

Thanks for the info,I will be giving it a try. The reels I'm using are Okuma Saone's, I'm very pleased with them so far. Their clutches are as smooth as snake sh-t;)

Back