• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Falling in

Adrian Williams

No Longer a Member
Following on from the lost rod thread it seems there are far more clumsy careless people about than I first thought.
This mornings local news is reporting that, according to the Shrewsbury coroner, over the last six years 94 incidents of people falling in the river Severn have been reported, 23 of which have resulted in the victims drowning.
Local people are now calling for the river to be fenced off and cct to be installed.
As you would expect from me I believe this is health and safety gone mad.
One of the areas they are talking of fencing off is the area round the weir, how is this going to effect the fishing?
Imo within reason people should be responsible for themselves while walking the river bank.
Many of the young victims have been drunk when they have fallen in and found with their flies open, perhaps a better idea would be to spend the money on replacing all the public toilets which have been closed over the last 20 years so lads don't have to go onto the bank to relieve themselves after a few beers.

Some residents are also saying that the money which has recently been spent on the stone slinky to commemorate Charles Darwins associations with the town would have been better spent on railings......Given his observations on the survival of the fittest I wonder what he would have made of this.

I used to fall in regularly (not there), never drunk but always unlucky. Once fell in the Trent in the late 70's and it was warmer in the water than on the bank

Last edited:
How the f*** is cctv going to stop people falling in!?

Surely the better solution would be to fence people off individually, thus preventing them from coming into harm from many things, not just rivers.

I can only speak for my own area Lewis, but a number of robberies, violent crimes and even a couple of murders have solved with the help of CCTV:)

Hmm...Yes, cctv is certainly a double edged sword.

Freedom v's 'safety'

Perhaps if the police/courts/jail/anti crime system in this country wasn't so lax, there wouldn't be any need for cctv to 'keep us safe'

Though maybe that's the whole idea?;)

Hmm...Yes, cctv is certainly a double edged sword.

Freedom v's 'safety'

Perhaps if the police/courts/jail/anti crime system in this country wasn't so lax, there wouldn't be any need for cctv to 'keep us safe'

Though maybe that's the whole idea?;)

Problem is Rhys, all the resources are being exhausted keeping your otters safe :D:D:D

Cheers, Dave

lol

lol

Attachments

• 2538872460_b3efec7ed5.jpg
    2538872460_b3efec7ed5.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 237
Ade,
I've been in a few times in my youth but had quite a dangerous one quite recently.
I was at a local pond stalking carp in about 10ft of water right in the edge below a bank about 8ft vertical and made up almost entirely of tree roots.
I crept up on my hands and knees stalking rod and idleback in hand,went to push the idleback in and met with quite a bit of resistance,all of a sudden it shot down 3ft as it pierced what I knew later to be a plastic membrane holding the stone chippings back,as it shot down I somersalted down what seemed to be an eternity into about 10ft of water,fully clothed with rod in hand.
Fought my way back to the surface managing to miss the tangle of roots and climb all the way back up the vertical bank to safety.
The guy fishing on the other bank didn't even get up off his seat !!!
Anyway I stripped off down to my skiddies and sat in the warmth of the rising sun until my clothes had dried off,got quite a few strange looks.
Fortunately my little dip hadn't put the basking carp off and within the hour I'd had a few so the day wasn't ruined.

I thought that they were a band.

Be careful out there, I'm getting increasingly cautious to the point of missing out on some good swims.

Conrad

I always thought an "idleback" was a rod rest, according to google it's a shooting chair......?
I'm sure Chris was talking about a rod rest.

Anyway, lucky escape mate......;)

Chris....usually, in order to keep fish interested while a kerfuffle is going on, you have to keep on feeding them, keep something going in.

I am trying to work out what it was you left in the water to keep them in the area, while you dried out..........:D:D:D

Cheers, Dave.

Yes in my world an idleback is a rod rest.
Dave,
I guess they were just starving,they don't get much bait or disturbance so me falling in didn't spook them at all.
I scared the **** out of a few ramblers though sat there in my skiddies:D

Back