• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Extreme upper Severn and...hello!

Mike Webb

Hello folks. I'm new to this forum, at least in this incarnation. :)

I would be pleased if anyone could let me know if the Abermule section of the Severn has been producing any barbel recently and would be interested to hear of anyone's upper Severn exploits.

In fact, I'd be interested to hear of anyone's exploits in upper sections of rivers. Where is the highest upstream that folks have landed barbel unexpectedly?

All the best and hello again :)

Mike

upper upper severn

posted on rivers thread as well.

hi mike.fished caerws under the bridge many times in the 198os.no barbel but had plenty nice chub.under the bridge at llandinan for nice grayling .once hooked a salmon under dolwen bridge on a 16s and double maggot while trotting .he was tired and i walked him twice up the bank and he went for a stroll and the hook came back in my hand.fished all over the area mostly up to my knees in it .barbel had not got that far up .pity there are a few deep holes which would suit them.there was a deep gravel run near caerws bridge which would be ideal for them.happy days.
albert:)

hi mike.fished caerws under the bridge many times in the 198os.no barbel but had plenty nice chub.under the bridge at llandinan for nice grayling .once hooked a salmon under dolwen bridge on a 16s and double maggot while trotting .he was tired and i walked him twice up the bank and he went for a stroll and the hook came back in my hand.fished all over the area mostly up to my knees in it .barbel had not got that far up .pity there are a few deep holes which would suit them.there was a deep gravel run near caerws bridge which would be ideal for them.happy days.

Hi Albert,

Judging by the above, you seem to fish under bridges a lot...is that to save carrying an umbrella :D:D

Only kidding mate. It is great for us old 'uns to to relive the past with fond memories of yesteryear isn't it? As you say, Happy days.

Cheers, Dave.

hi dave i know what you mean.it so happened the swims looked enticing.also when i was 12yrs old i fished under bridges if poss because we had no comfort gear like today.nice to speak to you.

I had an eight and half first time I fished it, easy!:)

Blanked the only other time mind, its on the cards at some point to give it a good go.

From what I understand (a club that cannot be mentioned), OK to above Welshpool then slow to extremely difficult for barbel as you get towards Newtown.

Back