• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Extra section for torrix

Lee White

I have 1 3/4 tc torrix could i get 2lb or 2 1/4 top sections made for them and be able to use them properly or would i need to buy a 2lb or 2 1/4 rods

I think if it was that simple everyone would be ordering different torrix tops to expand their rods abilities but as far as I know the butt sections are also different.
@Bob Gill would be able to confirm for definite but I don’t believe Harrison use a generic butt section and just fit different tops. I think the whole rod is different.

I have 1 3/4 tc torrix could i get 2lb or 2 1/4 top sections made for them and be able to use them properly or would i need to buy a 2lb or 2 1/4 rods
Hi Lee - I take it you mean a 12' Torrix - if so the butt section is common to the 1.75 and 2.0 tip sections. I don't know about the 2.25 tip as they are a recent addition to the range.
In most cases the tips of the 1.75 and 2.0 are interchangeable BUT there are occasions where the replacement will need trimming to correctly fit the male joint of the butt. I'd personally like to see somewhere around 70 to 80 mm insertion.
On a straight bought ready trimmed tip, there is the rare occasion when this is not possible and you may need to buy an 'untrimmed section' - these are quite a bit longer as they can be trimmed at either end. However, in the majority of cases an 'off the shelf' replacement (trimmed) factory tip will fit.

Although a section from another blank set may well physically fit, there are differences in types of carbon used in the making process and the resultant rod test curve and action may not be optimum.

Without delving any deeper, I'll leave it there.

As suggested above, try phoning Harrison.
Cheers
Bob

Thanks to everyone who replied yes bob my torrix is 12 foot all it was i seen a rod for sale on here which had extra tips made for it it was a pergrine rod which i belive are harrion blanks which got me thinking i will contact steve tommorow have spoken with him in the past and h has been helpful will be looking at all options

Lee. It was for one of my GPE barbel specials torrix that we designed and sold together.

So Ian could match the whipping colours exactly. ( no problem simple if yours are one colour)

And yes, confident casting smoothly across the Wye with about 5oz total. Would / Does IMO stress a 1.75. Notable difference
In tip bend between the two in flows also.

Mates rates but I think about £100.

Thanks to everyone who replied yes bob my torrix is 12 foot all it was i seen a rod for sale on here which had extra tips made for it it was a pergrine rod which i belive are harrion blanks which got me thinking i will contact steve tommorow have spoken with him in the past and h has been helpful will be looking at all options
That was my peregrine you saw and in that case it’s a little different to what your asking here.
mine had 3 top sections all of which are 1.5lb tc. So essentially the exact same section.
the difference was two of them had quiver tips spliced into the blank but they were still all GTX 1.5 top sections.

Now I think about it I asked roger this same question regarding my peregrine about using the GTx 1.75 top on the same butt (chimera no1 butt with chimera no2 top) and he said it didn’t work with this rod. It’s handy to know the torrix does.

Is the chimera butt not the same as the torrix the wrap looks the same i thought it was the tips that was different just through my observations look the same

Chimera is a full through actioned rod
Torrix is a semi through action
The butt sections are completely different
Torrix feels more powerful
The wrap is different too. Torrix is a much finer rap than the chimera.
both excellent rods despite been totally different, I’d struggle to pick a favorite.
bob gill did a fantastic write up on both of them which is worth a read if someone can find it again.

Ill look and have a read only just started river fishing this year so its all new to me been carp fishing for years the torrix are my light carp rods and just used them for the river

Just to go back to the original question, the answer is yes.

I spoke to Mike at Harrison today and he confirmed that there is a degree of comparability. For example, I already had 2x 12’ 2lb torrix and today I ordered 2x 1.75lb top sections for them - brilliant!! 👍

Will be taking delivery of the new Harrison 12' 2.25lb test curve soon.

The tip of this rod (2.25) is not suited to the 1.75/2.00 butt although it may well physically fit.

Cheers
Bob

Will be taking delivery of the new Harrison 12' 2.25lb test curve soon.
The tip of this rod is not suited to the 1.75/2.00 butt although it may well physically fit.
Cheers
Bob
Even if it fits would a 1.75 butt section have the power to suit a 2.25 top?

Even if it fits would a 1.75 butt section have the power to suit a 2.25 top?
Probably not as Harrison may also vary the grades of carbon in both sections to achieve the action and test curve. An example of this is the 12' Torrix 1.5 test. The tip will often fit the 1.75/2.0 butt, BUT the 1.5 butt (all these buts! :eek:) section has softer carbon in the butt layup to achieve the test. Surprisingly, it is generally accepted that the slimmer 1.25 has more 'grunt' in the butt than the 1.5.
Coupled with the fast slim tip this makes the 1.25 a nice rod.
Cheers
Bob

I myself spoke to mike at harrisons yesterday and he confirmed that the 1.75 and the 2lb are the only 2 that are interchangeable the 1.5 and the 2.25 dont work at all so looks like he will be getting another order just working out best option factory built or custom order

Back