• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Extra large hemp?

Pidgeon conditioner (gray pays..as they say in the Black Country). Cheap as cheap can be..mix with a bit of standard hemp (and maybe soak in the juice of your soaked hemp), and job's a good 'un.

Had some bad experiences with larger hemp, in that it doesn't always split or if it does, the inside is brown (dead seed?).

Much prefer to buy it from Haiths, CC Moore or Hinders, not the cheapest, but they tend to shift a lot of it, so don't need to worry about buying dead seed.

i've just ordered a kilo from ebay just to see how it is and if it will split. its for roach on the thames with waggler where I cant ping standard hemp out far enough. i'll let you know how it is

i've just ordered a kilo from ebay just to see how it is and if it will split. its for roach on the thames with waggler where I cant ping standard hemp out far enough. i'll let you know how it is
That is about the only valid reason for spending the extra wonga on giant hemp.

I have been having trouble with hemp for a while - only about 20% splitting no matter how long its cooked for, just in passing I bought a small bag from AD of Copdock Mill hemp and miracles happens its all split! And I believe they do extra large - once again not cheap though.

If you are fishing for barbel and chub why worry about it splitting, the oils/goodness are not released into the boiling water in the cooking pan and wasted ,( though i would always bottle up the liquid and use it). They are released in the fishes throat when they crush it. I think we worry too much about hemp splitting when its far better if it does not split when used as an attractor. I bought a 20kg sack of monster hemp and only use it for roach,almost all of it splits if prepared correctly but it was expensive

One of the reasons it doesn't appear to split, is because the seed is old and dead, if you force it open, you may find a brown kernel, rather than a nice white one.

Back