• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Evening Sessions in the Northeast.

Glynn Brown

Good evening all.

Ive recently moved up to Hartlepool from my hometown in the Midlands and have been fishing on the Tees and Wear.
Now both rivers have a head of Barbel in them and if your willing to put the hours in, eventually rewards will come (well i hope so)
But the problom ive got is that there are plenty of clubs offering miles of river to fish from and all seem to be same sort of price per year.
But im finding it hard to find a club that will let me do evening sessions on the rivers after the whiskers as the times i like to fish are 6pm till around midnight.
They only allow Dawn till Dusk which is ok in summer months, but as then nights draw in its dark at 4pm (like now)
They allow you to fly fish at night on some venues but not course fish and the feeling im getting is they seem to rule the rivers!!

Now im not asking you to give your hideouts away or were the shoals are, But i would like a little bit of help on the Clubs your in and sections of river you target and can fish into dark. (also safe parking)

Eagerly awaiting :)
Glynn.

Hi Glynn, there are indeed quite a few Barbel in the rivers you mention and they are superb waters. Unfortunately you are going to find that all the clubs that have the fishing rights are mostly only concerned with the game fish and the anglers that fish for them.

I remember having conversations with a very good Northeast Barbel angler Nigel Collins that had been having many battles with the various associations to try and improve the situation. He used to fish both those venues on a fairly regular basis. If you happen to come across him then I'm sure he will point you in the right direction. It appears to me that coarse fishing generally in these areas is gradually improving. On my regular visits to see my Mum who lives north of Newcastle there are more and more waters available, albeit still waters and not rivers.

I think you will find that most of the serious coarse river anglers will be fairly secret squirrel. You could be lucky as there used to be one or two a few years ago that used to post here who could still be looking in.

If I hear anything will message you, best of luck
Keith

Glynn, I'll send you a pm in a few days with club recommendations. Away atm and typing on a sm
artphone is a pain.
Sadly John Hepworth has passed away as he was always a mine of info regarding the Wear.

Last edited:
Back