• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Enervite / bird food bait

Chris Thomson

Hi , whilst mixing my milk protein mix last night i got to thinking about other mixes and wondered if anyone had had success with Enervite or similar " bird food" type mixes? They seem to tick the boxes with limited nutrition , high carbohydrate / fats , easily digested and a coarse texture that allows good leak off . Enervite contains yeast , livers pices etc , just thinking they would be a different type of bait other than fishmeals or milks

I used the original (red) Enervite mix from Nutrabaits many years ago (for carp). It worked.

I also used home mixes including lots of another bird food called Ce-Dee (yellow). That caught some good carp too.

Never tried straight ‘bird food’ baits for barbel; but (and it’s a big but) if you read the ingredients list (or talk to bait manufacturers ) on some well known (barbel type) baits you will find ingredients that are basically bird food.

The bait I’ve used for the last few years for example, has a very loose texture and almost certainly contains significant amounts of bird food. Ironically, I started trialing a very experimental new bait last week and that has (slightly less !) bird food in it too.

I can see the benefits of a bird food bait because of the open matrix make up of the bait I think it would work better in coloured water than a straight protein…. People do very well using pidgeon conditioner so it should work well

Back