• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

End of Season Lessons

A had a carpist who passed by and took the pics for me. He wanted me to hold it out far more than that. He was getting a little frustrated with me for not holding it so that the tail was straight, showing its true length.
I agree! The carper in me is also disturbed - however that's a minter of a barbel whatever way you want to hold it!

So more like this?

Even though I am "really" holding out the edited one; it was my first Barbel of 2022 and the first time I was specifically targeting them. I clearly got a bit carried away. But at least they are straight 😅

Thanks for the positive feedback and I will try to keep the tail straight on all future Barbel ;)

20220131_160231(1).jpg
20220314_173116.jpg

So more like this?

Even though I am "really" holding out the edited one; it was my first Barbel of 2022 and the first time I was specifically targeting them. I clearly got a bit carried away. But at least they are straight 😅

Thanks for the positive feedback and I will try to keep the tail straight on all future Barbel ;)

View attachment 18837View attachment 18838
Nice J-P, looks like the Wandle has been good to you. Surprising what lurks in a little river in a urban area, I wish my local Rivers Cray and Darent had fish like that….but neither does ☹️

Nice J-P, looks like the Wandle has been good to you. Surprising what lurks in a little river in a urban area, I wish my local Rivers Cray and Darent had fish like that….but neither does ☹️
I have been fortunate and hope it's not just beginner's luck. However I'm aware of a 13lb and 14.5lb having been caught there this year on a different stretch.

I'll likely be near to the Darent in the coming weeks. I've never targeted Tench and heard that within range, one of the few potential waters is located in Dartford. I'm hopeful of catching some.
Any advice?

I have been fortunate and hope it's not just beginner's luck. However I'm aware of a 13lb and 14.5lb having been caught there this year on a different stretch.

I'll likely be near to the Darent in the coming weeks. I've never targeted Tench and heard that within range, one of the few potential waters is located in Dartford. I'm hopeful of catching some.
Any advice?
Hi JP
There are a couple of day ticket waters close to Dartford, Brooklands Lake (aka Goodwood in Jack Hilton’s Quest for Carp) run by DDAPS where you can buy tickets on the bank. £15 the day I believe so not cheap. Your best bet here would be maggot feeder but if you want to float fish there are plenty of areas with a bit of bankside cover. There’s also Darenth Fishery a couple of miles outside of Dartford. There are several lakes there but I’ve not fished it for thirty five years or so. Slightly further afield is The Glades which is at Sidcup. I’ve caught quite a fewTench from here float fishing the dam end. Tickets on the bank and far more wallet friendly.
I can’t find a link to the Glade (Lamorbey AnglingClub) at the moment I’m afraid. Let me know if you want a walk round and I’ll meet up if you want.

Regards

Bill

Hi JP
There are a couple of day ticket waters close to Dartford, Brooklands Lake (aka Goodwood in Jack Hilton’s Quest for Carp) run by DDAPS where you can buy tickets on the bank. £15 the day I believe so not cheap. Your best bet here would be maggot feeder but if you want to float fish there are plenty of areas with a bit of bankside cover. There’s also Darenth Fishery a couple of miles outside of Dartford. There are several lakes there but I’ve not fished it for thirty five years or so. Slightly further afield is The Glades which is at Sidcup. I’ve caught quite a fewTench from here float fishing the dam end. Tickets on the bank and far more wallet friendly.
I can’t find a link to the Glade (Lamorbey AnglingClub) at the moment I’m afraid. Let me know if you want a walk round and I’ll meet up if you want.

Regards

Bill
Thanks Bill, I think Brooklands would be the easiest for me and being so large more challenging (which I prefer). Tuesday looks like good conditions and if I can find the time will go then. Otherwise the weather returns to Northerley/Easterleys and generally average conditions. Having said that, you go when you can whatever the weather.

I'll keep Sidcup in mind, as well as your kind offer. I wasn't aware of what it offers and will look into it further.

Thanks Bill, I think Brooklands would be the easiest for me and being so large more challenging (which I prefer). Tuesday looks like good conditions and if I can find the time will go then. Otherwise the weather returns to Northerley/Easterleys and generally average conditions. Having said that, you go when you can whatever the weather.

I'll keep Sidcup in mind, as well as your kind offer. I wasn't aware of what it offers and will look into it further.
Nearly five years ago now (Blimey time fly’s) I had this fish from The Glade while after Tench. 13ft float rod, .22 mm line and a centrepin reel 🤪

Attachments

• C7F41C6F-4B00-49D5-A546-8D22245A1B4C.jpeg
    C7F41C6F-4B00-49D5-A546-8D22245A1B4C.jpeg
    193 KB · Views: 142
Nearly five years ago now (Blimey time fly’s) I had this fish from The Glade while after Tench. 13ft float rod, .22 mm line and a centrepin reel 🤪
Stunning Common. I've only ever caught 4 carp myself and always by luck, they were never the targetted species. On light tackle they certainly get the heart racing. You must have had a real adreneline rush, how long did it take you to land?

Stunning Common. I've only ever caught 4 carp myself and always by luck, they were never the targetted species. On light tackle they certainly get the heart racing. You must have had a real adreneline rush, how long did it take you to land?
I can only guess and say approx 15-20 minutes J-P. At times it nearly had me out of line. The end of the lake is quite narrow so it couldn’t go any further over or to the right (I was in a corner) and thankfully it didn’t put it’s heart into running too far to the left but I was certainly impressed with my Drennan Power Float rod, I won’t have any hesitation in using it for trotting for Barbel.
I’ve been in touch with the Lamorbey Angling Club and their website has some domaine issues (whatever that means🤷🏻‍♂️) but as soon as it’s back online I’ll send you a link for reference.
Regards
Bill

So more like this?

View attachment 18837View attachment 18838
It's really good to see all these Wandle barbel, it's a genuine urban oasis and a great example of a river being restored and brought back to life.

Used to have the odd trotting session on the Wandle when I had mates living in Tooting and Streatham area, never came across any barbel of this size though, although once saw a very big chub soon towards Mitcham.

Good angling JP.

Hi JP

Regards

Bill
A quick thank you for the advice on fishing Brooklands Lake in Dartford. It certainly was well worth the £15.00 fee and seemed like a water with real potential and some where I'm likely to visit again. In fact potential achieved with my first few Tench ever. So a real success.

I was worried at first I would miss out, as I didn't arrive until 11:00 due to a job interview.

Here was the nicest one landed:

20220406_135403.jpg

I tried to give it the compulsory carpist glare, but couldn't quite hide my joy. I can see why these are such popular fish, she certainly put up a worthy fight and those tail fins are quite something.

Again thanks Bill for the recommendation, it made my week!

Back