• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

End of an era, for me

:D

Sadly you won’t be the last Paul. My pals and I have tried to diversify a little over the years, with Crucians and Grayling filling our seasons. Unfortunately, just as with the Barbel, the more we have learnt and the more gear we have accumulated the less our success. The carbon footprint that we have left in our pursuits is staggering. Recently we have struggled to remember the last “Red letter day” that we have had. It really is quite depressing. For me, it is the company of good friends and the incredible environments that we find ourselves in.
You should take some comfort Paul, that you leave the stage with a river record that will probably stand for longer than us👍

Sad news but totally understand Paul.

Todays barbel fishing is nothing like you and I experienced on that lovely Kennet stretch at Rainsford Farm all those years ago before the otters moved in. Good times mate but sadly never to be repeated. Keep well Paul and all the very best.

Ian

Sadly you won’t be the last Paul. My pals and I have tried to diversify a little over the years, with Crucians and Grayling filling our seasons. Unfortunately, just as with the Barbel, the more we have learnt and the more gear we have accumulated the less our success. The carbon footprint that we have left in our pursuits is staggering. Recently we have struggled to remember the last “Red letter day” that we have had. It really is quite depressing. For me, it is the company of good friends and the incredible environments that we find ourselves in.
You should take some comfort Paul, that you leave the stage with a river record that will probably stand for longer than us👍
Hi Kevin, hope all ok with you it's been a while :)

I don't seek red letter days, I just hope to enjoy new pursuits and environments.

Take care my friend.

Sad news but totally understand Paul.

Todays barbel fishing is nothing like you and I experienced on that lovely Kennet stretch at Rainsford Farm all those years ago before the otters moved in. Good times mate but sadly never to be repeated. Keep well Paul and all the very best.

Ian
Hi Ian. What days they were, a sad place now as far as I know :(

You describe the exact scenario for myself too Paul, the decline in Barbel has been catastrophic in these parts too, especially the last few years, the memories are more relevant now.
We barbel anglers are pretty niche and it seems the fact that the Otter has decimated our river's is of no consequence at all, we are told it is a triumph, of which there are no parallels.
From day one the Otters cute kitten like face spelled the end for many river's, what a diabolical ignorant understanding of what is needed to maintain a balance regarding apex predators?
But we have Mortimer and Whitehouse and that stalwart Countryfile to paper over the cracks.
One door closes another etc, plenty of other things to do..go for it.☺

A very sad loss to Barbel fishing but like others I may well not be too far behind you. We’ve not lost you to angling generally Paul plenty of good news for Crucian and Tench fishing by the sound of it and we’ve always got you lurking behind the scenes ready to chip in when you feel.
My very best wishes on your new quests Paul.
Regards
Bill

A very sad loss to Barbel fishing but like others I may well not be too far behind you. We’ve not lost you to angling generally Paul plenty of good news for Crucian and Tench fishing by the sound of it and we’ve always got you lurking behind the scenes ready to chip in when you feel.
Regards
Bill
Thanks Bill. I am certainly not dropping out of the scene, just won't be blanking every week on river banks :D

There's so many interesting branches of our sport, coarse, sea and game. It's a shame not to enjoy as much of it as possible.
Given the opportunities my angling year would start in the spring with trout on the fly, Salmon from mid April until Sept on the southern rivers, with a trip to the north east for sea Trout as well in June/July.
Probably a couple of sea trips, maybe one for Conger on a neap tide to a distant wreck, with my sister and her husband. Pollack fishing is awesome.
October onwards will see me trotting for whatever comes along on the local rivers, Roach, Chub, Perch, Dace and the occasional Barbel. Midwinter Grayling on the pin and then the Salmon season starts again 1st Feb
Oh, having a go at a new lake after the Tench from next week too
Variety is the spice of life they say.

I hope that you get what you are wishing for Paul. But if you ever need to scratch that itch again there are plenty of barbel in beautiful low angling pressure locations here in France. No night fishing though. Just clean water, quiet locations and no other anglers for miles.

Regards
Bill
Don't you think about giving up barbel fishing until you have a Vienne barbel under your belt Bill. Your swim is awaiting you!

Paul, celebrate the near fifty years of barbel fishing you've enjoyed. It's far more than many will experience and now you have new targets, have fun pursuing those.

Back