• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Ebro catfishing

I noticed the floats Gav....bet that was exhilarating when they slid away
If anyone can get out there Al is a brilliant guide, the digs are very comfortable and the town is excellent for a beer and a pizza on the marina
Al also does bird-watching guiding so is just the man for pointing out exotic bods while you're catching some sun on the skiff between fish.
A proper holiday

Back on the Ebro last week for a few days fishing from a boat between Tortosa and Deltebre on the lower river. Water very low and pretty clear after a prolonged dry period in Catalunya. Cats were finicky but landed 11 at an average weight of 66lb, best two going 161lb and 128lb. Still looking for a 200lb+ but booked again for next year to try again. River was very quiet for anglers.

Bird spotting was exceptional and ticked off a few new species, a wryneck was a joy. Ospreys, marsh harriers and black kites were a daily encounter.

I had five days on the lower Ebro around Amposta last week, catfishing was the main priority but lots of bird-spotting opportunities too. Angling wise it was my best trip thus far with 20 cats landed, four over 100lb with the best going 147lb. Conditions were favourable with a bit of extra water in and colour. Birding highlights were ospreys on a daily basis, marsh harriers, black kites and a Bonelli's eagle.

I had five days on the lower Ebro around Amposta last week, catfishing was the main priority but lots of bird-spotting opportunities too. Angling wise it was my best trip thus far with 20 cats landed, four over 100lb with the best going 147lb. Conditions were favourable with a bit of extra water in and colour. Birding highlights were ospreys on a daily basis, marsh harriers, black kites and a Bonelli's eagle.

What a beast Gavin 👏🏻

Mequinenza 250lb
IMG-20240323-WA0010-2.jpg

Sounds awesome Gav. Looks like it's back on form. We last went in 2022 and it was rock hard, i think we managed one fish between 2 of us over 5 days. Thanks for posting, I will share with my fishing partner and see if he fancies it.

Sounds awesome Gav. Looks like it's back on form. We last went in 2022 and it was rock hard, i think we managed one fish between 2 of us over 5 days. Thanks for posting, I will share with my fishing partner and see if he fancies it.
Al doesn't do a lot of purely catting now as the bird-spotting tours have become very popular. You need to book early as he doesn't do many weeks. I've got five days late March next year.

seen ospreys, marsh ahrriers, kites, stork, buzzards, egrits and thousands of Cormorants so great place to see birds.

Al doesn't do a lot of purely catting now as the bird-spotting tours have become very popular. You need to book early as he doesn't do many weeks. I've got five days late March next year.
Thanks Gav
That was certainly the impression we got last time we stayed
I’m really pleased for him and his family as they had it rough thru Covid
I’ll contact him and see what he says
Cheers

Back