• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Early tench

Steve Roffey

I've been having a hard time on the rivers recently so decided to have a lazy day letting the Delks do the work yesterday. The lazy day got busy as the sun warmed the (relatively shallow) water I was fishing, ended the day with 8 tench with the best being a male of 6.14, happy Valentine's Day to me!
6.14 14.02.JPG
6.14 14.02.JPG

Just like Perch they are a lovely fish once the gain some size. I do enjoy a session on light gear for Crucians or Tench but inevitably a pesky puddle pig picks it up and turns the swim into a war zone! Haha

Well done Steve...I'm the same colour as the Tinca :) Still waiting for my first Tench of the spring :(

Just like Perch they are a lovely fish once the gain some size. I do enjoy a session on light gear for Crucians or Tench but inevitably a pesky puddle pig picks it up and turns the swim into a war zone! Haha
Going for my first Crucian attempt this year on Friday, not many carp in the pool I'm going to but the tench go over 6 so can be a nuisance on a light float rig.

Does anyone know of any good tench waters in Essex or Shropshire/Herefordshire ? In Essex lots of lakes but the carp outnumber the tench horribly on the ones I fish ! Haven't done any lake fishing in Shropshire/Herefordshire yet ?

Does anyone know of any good tench waters in Essex or Shropshire/Herefordshire ? In Essex lots of lakes but the carp outnumber the tench horribly on the ones I fish ! Haven't done any lake fishing in Shropshire/Herefordshire yet ?
I live on the Cambs/Beds/Herts border Cliff and it's the same here - all the clubs are interested in stocking are fast growing pond pigs. Is the world really full of carp anglers? :(
For my money, sitting in a bivvy behind 3 rods ain't angling.

Had quite a lot of Tinca success this closed season. This time last year, I was making the 140 mile round trip to fish some club waters and really struggling. I heard about a local lake just after June 16th last year, so made a mental note to return this closed season and haven’t been disappointed. A lot of the early spring fish fell to lobs or hair rigged lob sections, but also been catching on high viz pineapple pop ups on stiff hinged rigs (had to ask what these were at the local tackle shop). I had six last night to 8lb 7oz. Apparently the chance of a double is more than realistic. And not a pesky pig in sight!
ECCB5685-C9A4-486C-9091-EF374EF2B424.jpeg

Excellent, well done Peter :)

Thankyou, I am still in shock after that fish, it looks like the fish may well have spawned, just what it might have weighed a week or so earlier is mind boggling!
I have been too long away from pit fishing, blinkered chasing salmon, but they are fast becoming like rocking horse droppings, so the time seemed right, good decision. I have caught loads of tench in the distant past, but nothing over 7lb, nice at the time, but the size of the fish now , is staggering, itching to have another go, plus of course the rivers opening very soon, all good stuff.
peter

Back