• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Early Arnold Kingpin

Tom Casey

Senior Member & Supporter
I have an early Arnold Kingpin which needs the bearings replaced . Does any body have a link to any video's on how to do it . All I can find are links to Suzuki 4x 4's . Thanks in advance .

Before you change the bearings have you tried soaking them in Meths. I had a Relum (almost exactly like an Arnold) that a previous owner had 'oiled' with something that ended up a red solid mess. It all dissolved with the Meths and the reel was then free running. With a Kingpin the centre button on the spool is pushed in and a tight fit you need to be careful not to scratch the spool when easing it out. I use a watch opener to work around the button to ease it out. You should use a piece of card to stop any damage to the spool pushed up onto the button. You can use sockets to ease the bearings out,take photos as you go.

Tom

Unless you know what you're doing (Mark above sounds like he does) and you're confident with it, I would echo Steve R's advice and get in touch with Garry Mills. Whilst the Kingpin is not a top-top tier expensive pin, neither is it an el-cheapo unbranded pin from China.

Cheers guys ,. Mark have soaked it in spirit to no avail , reel been dunked in the river and oiled by previous owner . Have found it slightly over engineered so going down the Mills Tackle route , thanks Steve x 2 .

Back