• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Ea riverbank tree and vegetation habitat destruction..message to all.......

"Our maintenance budget and resources are deployed to achieve the best overall outcome for flood defence." ......Quote

Graham,...
That sentence usually means that that when contractors and plant are on site they will look at any tree or marginal bush that is likely to end up in the watercourse during the next decade or so to save them a return trip and money.
I was told by the EA at an AT meeting a couple of years ago that their policy was to leave instream wood ,.... unless that has now changed, it seems that Flood Defence and Fisheries aren't on the same page.

So let me get this right, we allow houses to be built on flood plains, we concrete over thousands of square metres of green belt causing faster run offs in to the rivers. we create the "global warming" scenario with increased extreme weather. We take as much water as possible out of rivers in the summer when the rivers are at their lowest and the answer from the stewards of our waterways is...lets blame the trees and cut them all down. wow

"Our maintenance budget and resources are deployed to achieve the best overall outcome for flood defence." ......Quote

Graham,...
That sentence usually means that that when contractors and plant are on site they will look at any tree or marginal bush that is likely to end up in the watercourse during the next decade or so to save them a return trip and money.
I was told by the EA at an AT meeting a couple of years ago that their policy was to leave instream wood ,.... unless that has now changed, it seems that Flood Defence and Fisheries aren't on the same page.

IMO the EA is to large with all the departments having their own agenda's that don't dovetail with others, nothing changes.

So let me get this right, we allow houses to be built on flood plains, we concrete over thousands of square metres of green belt causing faster run offs in to the rivers. we create the "global warming" scenario with increased extreme weather. We take as much water as possible out of rivers in the summer when the rivers are at their lowest and the answer from the stewards of our waterways is...lets blame the trees and cut them all down. wow

That about sums it up Robert.

IMO the EA is to large with all the departments having their own agenda's that don't dovetail with others, nothing changes.

I would advise any fishery manager,..or angler come to that,.. to think twice before reporting a fallen tree in a watercourse to Flood Defence.
There are occasions of course where such an occurrence can cause localised damage to property or bridge/weir structures and needs must,..but as we have seen, sometimes the potential damage to the riverbank environment can be dire when the boys in hard hats are called in.

..and then the EA put this out yesterday.... Read the comments and replys etc.
Each EA/NE region do not communicate with other EA regions to take advice and learn. They may have good intensions regarding the Hampshire Avon which is a highly protected Chalk Stream River, but they carry on crucifying the Kentish Stour(also protected Chalk Stream River) and others, and all other unprotected rivers. There again, the very same EA/NRA/NE etc crucified and destroyed the Hampshire Avon protected riverine habitat, fish, birds, wildfowl and wildlife continuously for 50+ years up until 2009/10.
https://www.facebook.com/environmen...69797688025/10154679390673026/?type=3&theater

I have few words for the EA they are not fit for purpose. Fisheries should be a separate entity run by professionals, if we have to pay extra for a licence and we were to get a good service, I feel it would be money well spent.

Ray, apparently the lower Stour at Meridians has been flattened, not a tree left by all accounts.
I haven't seen it myself but read it elsewhere today.

Thanks John...I'll have a look and photograph it. I have the before pics of that venue, so i will get the aftermaths. Does it mention 'when' they did it?

Hi Ray,
It just mentioned that the trees had been removed and a lot of the debris was left behind and in the water.
Can you let me know what it's like Ray?
I believe the EA have been approached .........

I'll check it when i get out...and also if they have done upstream in other parts. The Angling Trust want to confirm that the EA or EA contractors have done it or the landowner, council or other. They need that info on all rivers/canals/riverbank trees that have been massacred with the photo proof. I have collated 8 rivers/canals so far with a lot of pics but i suspect it is just the tip of the iceberg. The AT now have them. I'll get back to you John when i have had a look around. Thanks again.

Photos sent Ray.

Hi Kevin..I have now passed on your R.Medway tree pics to the Angling Trust along with others. They have asked if you can cornfirm that the EA/EA contractors did this, or landowner or other. I have to find this info out for them on all the rivers to go with the pics. Many thanks Kevin. You have PM as well. Cheers...Ray

Thanks Kevin...Very useful and much appreciated...Thanks again..I will keep everyone up to date and informed when i get the feedback from the AT.

I have just posted this on the EA FB page. Click the link to see what has happened here. There are complaint links as well.

And there you have it...EA unbelievable habitat destruction..'creating a better place'.. ;) Classic idiotic Flood Defence statement.. Chopping down all the healthy trees won't stop the birds from nesting....in so many words. C'mon EA...your breaking the law doing this in march, bird nesting season and wildlife breeding or at any time. You should be ashamed, exposed and prosecuted. http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/river-aire-tree-felling-to-boost-flood-protection-1-8321799

Complaint links - http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news...f-major-tree-felling-along-the-aire-1-8329141

http://bingleyanglingclub.co.uk/flood-defence-tree-felling-river-aire/

I will never understand the EA on their FB page they are posting pictures of "woody debris" (fresh cut tree trunks) that has been placed into water courses to slow water down while at the same time destroying habitat on rivers at great expense to speed water up, and these are the people we trust to maintain and improve fisheries? you couldn't make it up :(

Back