• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

EA Pension Funds!

How do you know your pension wasn't invested in a water company?
Your pension provider should issue (or you should be able to request) a report. That may only give you broad based info based on the Fund(s) investment principles to which you've signed up for either directly or indirectly. An in depth investment report might need a specific request via the Fund Trustees.

Certainly the Trustees of any pension fund will have stated the Investment Principles and Direction given to the Fund Manager.

For example: In the highly unlikely event the fund(s) only invest in the companies within the FTSE 100 Index, that will not include Thames Water but will include United Utilities (NW) and Severn Trent.

It gets very complex. They may not invest directly in any FTSE100 company but still invest in FTSE100 "composites" representing the performance of all or some of the FTSE100 listed companies or just Market Sectors like Utilities!

I could go on but perhaps not.... :p

PS: The Investment Strategy Statement information of any fund is typically only available to members of that fund and the employer.

Last edited:
I find it hard to accept that the Environment Agency Pension fund invests in..............

A number of Water Companies.

If that's not a conflict of interest what the hell is!
6 out of the 9 water companies are invested in by the EA, I think you you will find the Angling Trust is probably the same Gra, each fine on a water company for pollution incidents would affect the water companies financial performance, thus affecting its profitability, thus affecting the investments made by pension companies or trust funds, so you are bang on the money, it has to be a conflict of interest...

The Angling Trust and Fergal are currently targeting OFWAT for their toothless regulation of the water industry.

To round off this historic bit of capitalism and the resulting effect on us now, here's a current link from The Guardian looking at the Privatisation process from another direction (the UK Treasury).

Back