• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

E.A Calverton Hatchery visit

Mick Brown

I had a look around the environment agency Calverton hatchery yesterday. I was absolutely enthralled. What a superb job the lads there do, they just oose enthusiasm for their jobs.Everything is funded by rod licence money, and from what I could see not a penny is wasted.
If any of you get chance a visit there is highly recommended.

Mick

Years ago the Barbel society used to have speakers at the regional meetings(something they should do more of).Alan Henshaw the boss at Calverton at the time did a talk and slide show at Uxbridge golf coarse,what a great evening, informative and the man was very funny,one of those natural speakers.

I haven't had the pleasure of visiting Calverton to date.. Hopefully one day! Nice to hear such upbeat, positive words about it's operations. A rare thing - I think even the Barbel Society don't support its actions these days, going on recent official statements. Which I find a shame.

I had a look around the environment agency Calverton hatchery yesterday. I was absolutely enthralled. What a superb job the lads there do, they just oose enthusiasm for their jobs.Everything is funded by rod licence money, and from what I could see not a penny is wasted.
If any of you get chance a visit there is highly recommended.

Mick
I wouldn't mind a visit there Mick-is it open to the public?

I haven't had the pleasure of visiting Calverton to date.. Hopefully one day! Nice to hear such upbeat, positive words about it's operations. A rare thing - I think even the Barbel Society don't support its actions these days, going on recent official statements. Which I find a shame.

Hi Bobby,
Why don't the BS support what Calverton is doing?

Hiya Neil,
I wish I could give you an answer, but I'm an outsider now. The new generation should be able to clear things up for you. A general restocking policy was never seen as the answer anyhow, unless it helped the recovering population. I think the EA have adopted a policy of no restocking unless beneficial habitat is there anyway - which makes sense.

I wouldn't mind a visit there Mick-is it open to the public?

It is Steve, but not on an individual basis. The visits are only at certain times of the year and have to be booked in advance by interested parties. There must have been 15 or so in our club visit. As I said it's well worth a visit.

Mick

Back