• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Drought anybody

Hi men,

Good news about the Chinese , they love otters , hoi sin sause , beanshoots , deep fried !. Problem solved !.

Hatter

Hi men,

And wait until they suss out the crayfish situation !, the starving millions sorted !. In fact I'm going to set up a skewer company as soon as poss .

Hatter

Last edited:
Hi men,

Good news about the Chinese , they love otters , hoi sin sause , beanshoots , deep fried !. Problem solved !.

Hatter

Chinese cormorant fishers, too.

img_7157.jpg

All very well and good, all this killing. But when does it stop? The man down the bank, fishing in "your" swim and using an Okuma reel that offends your Shimano sensibilities...?

Okuma? In my swim? He better be tortured first.

Deep fried otter balls! Hmm could catch on. They'd definitely have a bit of a bite to em.

Crabtree.jpg

"Oh goodee, Dad! Can we try the Ouse? With five more barbel taken by otters recently, its banks must be nearly empty ... as you're always saying, there's more to fishing than grinning with an oft-caught lump in the rabble-rousing weeklies..."

Ever considered, chaps, how much like junkies we are?

A whole load of people get hooked a decade or so ago on some cheap, readily available, high-grade junk, then really feel the pain of withdrawing from such never-never-land stuff when it's gone?

Far better to fish in the real world. One or two anglers I see who are looking in now - Keith Speer, for example - know that real world, the days when barbel were a by no means widely spread or an easy fish, but a species to be worked very hard for to bank just occasionally.

But we want that cheap high-grade junk NOW! and heaven help anything or anybody that stops us from getting it. Says a lot about some of us.

Just an uncomfortable thought.

Ever considered, chaps, how much like junkies we are?

A whole load of people get hooked a decade or so ago on some cheap, readily available, high-grade junk, then really feel the pain of withdrawing from such never-never-land stuff when it's gone?

Far better to fish in the real world. One or two anglers I see who looking in now - Keith Speer, for example - know that real world, the days when barbel were a by no means a widely spread or an easy fish, but a species to be worked very hard for to bank just occasionally.

But we want that cheap high-grade junk NOW! and heaven anything or anybody that stops us from getting it.

Just an uncomfortable thought.
i think them days are over and are not coming back, like our own colne.

Which brings me back to another old theme of mine - the Burgerization of Angling.

I want that high-fat / big-hit stuff or, like the nightmare brat Violet Elizabeth in the Just William stories, "I'll thwceam and thwceam until I am th(s)ick".

Sooner rather than later, fellas, with the environmental consequences of our off-bank lifestyles fast catching up with us, we are going to have to come to terms with a lot of very uncomfortable stuff, come to terms with the fact that a brief and unsustainable window of, say, Barbel Plenty, was just that - brief and not Forever and ever, Amen.

Hi men,

Had a wander around my local Tring ressies . My god they are low, all of them . Reminds me of when we got married in 76 , and the year of a scorching summer . It was nice to have a sit and chat to a british record holder ( perch ) , and a new item of tackle , step ladders :eek:. Used to drop down to the fishing level ( mud ) in the disappearing margin . The movements of boats restricted over the heights of the chilterns to save water for busier times . Saying that , the canal was still frozen today .

Hatter

Hi men,

Had a wander around my local Tring ressies . My god they are low, all of them . Reminds me of when we got married in 76 , and the year of a scorching summer . It was nice to have a sit and chat to a british record holder ( perch ) , and a new item of tackle , step ladders :eek:. Used to drop down to the fishing level ( mud ) in the disappearing margin . The movements of boats restricted over the heights of the chilterns to save water for busier times . Saying that , the canal was still frozen today .

Hatter
no ladder,no fishing on wilstone, the fish are still there.
i looked at them in may last year and they were nearly full, god help us in the summer.

Which brings me back to another old theme of mine - the Burgerization of Angling.

I want that high-fat / big-hit stuff or, like the nightmare brat Violet Elizabeth in the Just William stories, "I'll thwceam and thwceam until I am th(s)ick".

Sooner rather than later, fellas, with the environmental consequences of our off-bank lifestyles fast catching up with us, we are going to have to come to terms with a lot of very uncomfortable stuff, come to terms with the fact that a brief and unsustainable window of, say, Barbel Plenty, was just that - brief and not Forever and ever, Amen.
enjoy it while it lasted, i did, now where did all them stockies go?

Hi men,

Dave , theY looked a bit sad , but yes the fish are still there . I liked it in the spring with rain replenishing Startops , water pushing into the shallows and trees . The warmer weather pushing the carp in there on the new feeding grounds , spent many hours just sat with the cars rushing past me , watching some really nice carp go about their normal life in that corner .Let's hope the rain tops it up.

Hatter

mark, water was taken from the canal, but a little to much and the fish had to be rescued.

Hi men ,

Dave , yes they dewatered sections , they said it helps with leaks , by they thought about a foot . Some good carp spots would be out the water , but they need to manage the situation .

Hatter

Back