• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Drought again this summer?

My point was really that aside from the issue of winter flooding, the wetter winters that we'd had up until the last couple of years gave groundwater levels the ability to be replenished and thus a positive. There was still a need for an increased ability to retain freshwater, but that need now has increased markedly on the strength of two drier winters. If winter this year reverted to those we have become used ie. milder and wetter I fear we'd still require quite a few of them to recover from the last 24 months.
Agreed.

HS2 is like a lot of things really - no one wants them until they're constructed and most then are pleased for their construction.
I think we need to decide in this society what it is we want. Do we want to protect the environment or do we want the capitalist economic model to continue it's controlling dance? If it's the former we need to be aware that we will have to do without certain things.
The north won't be pleased once it's finished because it's all about London and the south as usual.

I wonder how many new reservoirs could be built with the £98 billion that is being wasted on HS2? Enough to sort the problem out I'm sure...and you could probably build a few canals from Wales and Northern England to move water across to the east and south east. And if the thinking was properly joined up...maybe, just maybe some of those canals could be used to transport nutrients from catchments like the Upper Wye across to the east where the farmland can utilise them, in a low carbon way.

I have yet to meet anyone who thinks HS2 is a good idea. It's a just a cash cow for a select few to profit from.

Don’t get caught saying that in Wales 😂

Well we had some good news down South back in 2020 when permission was granted and work started on the first new reservoir since the 1970s just North of Portsmouth.
It is hoped to be completed by 2029 and should relieve some of the abstraction of two of our nearest chalk streams the Itchen and Test.

Unfortunately the project seems to be a partnership between Portsmouth water and Southern water ,the company which in 2021 was fined a record 90 million pounds for dumping raw sewage into the Solent.
This has caused a bit of a stir ,and some trust issues amongst many when a few months ago it was announced that the reservoir may have to supplement its storage with treated waste water.

I do fear though that on this ovecrowded island of ours the luxury of drinking water from the tap will eventually be replaced by bottled and the mains supply will only be suitable for washing and cleaning as per some of our continental neighbours.
I doubt we’ll get a refund mind .

As a local i shall be following this story with interest understandably.

Last edited:
I can jump on a train at Wilmslow and be at London Euston in 1hr 40. 5min drive to the station.

With HS2 I'd have to drive 20 mins to the airport, 5 min walk from car park to the Airport station...then it would take 1 hr 11mins.

So 9 mins saved...but I've driven on the roads for 4 times the usual distance.

I know so many families who farms are being devastated by it. Land they have farmed for generations cut in half by a concrete monstrosity.

Who actually wants it? Or needs it?
Just a waste of money, for not gaining much in travelling time. Then plans have been dropped for some of the areas up north which arguably could do with a decent rail network. Just the rich toffs of the south east & London that would benefit from this shitty idea in my eyes.

The north won't be pleased once it's finished because it's all about London and the south as usual.
You say that but I wouldn't change Carlisle for the world! It still is to me surprising heading in to the City on a Sunday to find it no busier than any other day of the week. I think the hardship present in the North breeds a sanity grounded on the nature of life. I felt, having spent most of my life in London that the only thing keeping most people going was retail therapy.

You say that but I wouldn't change Carlisle for the world! It still is to me surprising heading in to the City on a Sunday to find it no busier than any other day of the week. I think the hardship present in the North breeds a sanity grounded on the nature of life. I felt, having spent most of my life in London that the only thing keeping most people going was retail therapy.
Me neither pal. Sheffield born and bred and I'll probably die here . Been all over the country watching Wednesday for 40 years and the last place I'd choose to live would be london.I wouldn't live in or near London if someone paid me. It's just the discrepancy in government spending between the north and south that piss's me off its a disgrace....Leveling up my arse.

Last edited:
Back