• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Drop shotting

Brian Timson

I have looked into this and it makes me want to have a dabble:rolleyes:

The thing is does anyone know how to make a rig up with a trace in place?

If I use fluorocarbon its a straight through rig with a palomar knot used to create the off standing lure straight down to the lead. I am obviously concerned about a pike taking it so want to incorporate a trace, anyone know how this rig is set up?

Brian

I'm fairly new to it Brian, but having had quite a few pike, they all seem to get hooked in the edge of the mouth, probably due to the circle hooks.
You can get hooks with a swivel through the eye, so you could add a trace above and below, but it might impart on the action...

I actually use two float stops above and two below the hook, so I can adjust the depth the lure works.
It also has the advantage of the hook slipping down to the lead on the take, meaning you don't have the risk of the lead snagging when playing a fish...

Steve

I've been using the vmc spinshot hooks and soft 49 strand wire for knotting because the waters i fish too have a large population of pike.Check out agm s website if you haven't already.I also use k2k wire in 10 pound bs.

Last edited:
Back