• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Driving Me Mad - Please Help

Paul Richardson

Senior Member & Supporter
I may well have blown a gasket but I am trying to track down what I recall was a really good TV series on angling that I'm guessing was aired in the late 80s or 90s
I think it was on the BBC
I think it was narrated by Bernard Cribbens
I think the opening scene was John Bailey wading at first light and hooking a barbel. I recall a Shimano stradic with a fighting drag.
I think there were several weekly episodes. It was well filmed.
The only other thing I can remember is a Pike special filmed on LLandegfed in it's prime with some BIG fish being landed and filmed from a distance.
Definitely not Passion or Total or Wet Nets or Rod Race
I've tried googling but cannot find anything. Did it exist or have I lost the plot.

Some huge pike on it - I remember a manc lad called Neil Wheater being filmed with one
I've met Neil Wheater and he used to fish the ROI a fair bit. As far as I am aware, he no longer fishes for pike. I've fished Llandegfedd on a few occasions and always enjoyed it. On two occasions I saw huge fish in there. One cleared the water and another followed my lure to the boat side. No longer what it once was apparently. Although there are huge bream shoals in there so there's always a chance as long as the trout keep going in.

you sure its not Catching the impossible series ??

I've searched for "tales from the river bank" to, but could not find it on any site. Did get a copy of the book, but have to say it was not that interesting. There are stories of catches from John Bailey and others, but it is written more to entertain non-anglers, rather than give information to keen fishermen.
Never saw the tv programmes, so cannot comment how informative they were.

Back