• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Drennan super spade hooks....

Thanks Richard, you may not like them, but i'd be very surprised if you don't, I do think they would be just up your street!
Ok, i've only had one use of them, but I only used one hook all day and it stayed sharp all day!
I used a size 10 because I was trotting chunks of spam and needed that bit larger hook to keep the meat on the hook, with the help of a bit of grass stalk lol.
I have very similar tastes and demands as you do from hooks so I’m sure I’ll like them. I’ll get some ordered and give em hell on the nene for the chub when it gets a drop more water on again.
My only reservation was the coating. I’ve found coated hooks to cost me more fish than uncoated but I don’t know for absolute sure it’s anything to do with the coating and not something else. It’s just a conclusion I came to when physically holding the hooks and feeling them.
Probably nothing to do with that and more likely me playing them like a prize muppet 😂

I have very similar tastes and demands as you do from hooks so I’m sure I’ll like them. I’ll get some ordered and give em hell on the nene for the chub when it gets a drop more water on again.
My only reservation was the coating. I’ve found coated hooks to cost me more fish than uncoated but I don’t know for absolute sure it’s anything to do with the coating and not something else. It’s just a conclusion I came to when physically holding the hooks and feeling them.
Probably nothing to do with that and more likely me playing them like a prize muppet 😂

When you say lost fish, do you mean lost because the hook has dropped out?
If that's what you mean, I can't say your wrong, only that I landed all the fish I hooked yesterday.
They are barbed Richard, so even if the coating is slippy the micro barb should "in theory" help prevent the hooks dropping out so easy if you do happen to get a little slack in your line.

When you say lost fish, do you mean lost because the hook has dropped out?
If that's what you mean, I can't say your wrong, only that I landed all the fish I hooked yesterday.
They are barbed Richard, so even if the coating is slippy the micro barb should "in theory" help prevent the hooks dropping out so easy if you do happen to get a little slack in your line.
I went through a spell early this season while using the guru xs micro barbed hooks where i dropped so many fish. Mostly chub
I don’t know what was going wrong but yes I was knocking them off barbed hooks.
I immediately stopped using them, switched to the garbolinos, went up the nene to try them out in prime conditions and like yourself I landed everything I hooked…. Never looked back and I held the coating accountable.

They felt like they had been dipped in oil. I struggled to keep hold of them between my fingers.

I went through a spell early this season while using the guru xs micro barbed hooks where i dropped so many fish. Mostly chub
I don’t know what was going wrong but yes I was knocking them off barbed hooks.
I immediately stopped using them, switched to the garbolinos, went up the nene to try them out in prime conditions and like yourself I landed everything I hooked…. Never looked back and I held the coating accountable.

They felt like they had been dipped in oil. I struggled to keep hold of them between my fingers.

On occasions i've been catching fish as normal, then all of a sudden the fish start to come off a moment after hooking them. If this happens two or three times ( I know I should change the hook right away but i'm lazy and hope it stops happening) I just change the hook and the problem is solved. I have even had this happen with a freshly tied hook which i've tied on at home before setting out!
Maybe the point is bent over a little, or maybe the barb is pulled open too much, or maybe the hook point just isn't sharp enough.
I find the nail test is a good way to tell if a hook has lost it's sharpness.

I'm not saying that's what the problem was with your guru hooks, but possibly they were just blunt hooks?
I've had problems with guru hooks opening up and am not a fan of guru tackle.

...they are my all time favourite hooks for trotting for all species including barbel and chub.
I've just clocked this on youtube ....

They do look very interesting and I am looking forward to getting some and giving them a go to see how they compare to the original superspade hooks which I like so much.
Why not an 18 or 20? Too big for winter Chub fishing maggot on the Stour or Avon.

Very good hooks, have you tried the match version? I only used the eyes version for ledgering, interesting to try the match hooks for trotting
I’ve tried them. Ordered afew sizes when I saw them come out. Wasn’t overly impressed with them for maggots the point being edged would burst the maggot and ones that didn’t burst just wondered straight off them.
Probably better for none live baits. They held fish on ok.
I’m very much sold on these garbolinos at the moment. They are fantastic hooks.

Like the gripz they are a little bigger in size than your typical match sizes so a 16 would be a common 14

Why not an 18 or 20? Too big for winter Chub fishing maggot on the Stour or Avon.
I used size 16’s last winter with maggots for chub and find no real need to go smaller. You can completely lose a size 16 super spade in a single maggot if needed. I do use 18’s as well for the grayling but could easily get away with 16 being the smallest on finer presentation if needed

Sorry Andrew you lost me there bud?
Hi Ian. Stour and Avon Chub are very tricky at times when maggot fishing. Often an 18 or even a 20 will get you bites you can't get on a bigger hook. With the right rod you can land them effectively on a 20. Sometimes a single maggot nicked in the side of the maggot on a 20 will get you a bite when everything else fails. It's to do with the way they expect the loose feed to behave. They've seen it all on those hard fished stretches like Throop. 🙂

Hi Ian. Stour and Avon Chub are very tricky at times when maggot fishing. Often an 18 or even a 20 will get you bites you can't get on a bigger hook. With the right rod you can land them effectively on a 20. Sometimes a single maggot nicked in the side of the maggot on a 20 will get you a bite when everything else fails. It's to do with the way they expect the loose feed to behave. They've seen it all on those hard fished stretches like Throop. 🙂

Ah, ok, get what you mean now 🙂.
You could steer away from everyone elses tactic and squash 15 or more magg's on a 14s 😉.

I've finally got round to getting some to try out. They should arrive tomorrow.

Back