• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Drennan super spade hooks....

Ian Woods

...they are my all time favourite hooks for trotting for all species including barbel and chub.
I've just clocked this on youtube ....

They do look very interesting and I am looking forward to getting some and giving them a go to see how they compare to the original superspade hooks which I like so much.

Superspade are also my first choice for a big fish hook when a finer presentation is required.
Are the originals discontinued along with the smaller 18's and 20's?

Superspade are also my first choice for a big fish hook when a finer presentation is required.
Are the originals discontinued along with the smaller 18's and 20's?

I hope the originals arn't discontinued Bob!
These new acolyte versions may be great, but I very much hope the original super spades will still be available incase the new acolyte versions don't turn out to be to my, and other peoples liking.
I'll be interested in the actual sizes of the new acolyte superspades in comparison to the originals.
when the acolyte grippa hooks came out I got a few packs of my favoured size 14s (in the original super spade hooks) but when I got the grippa hooks they were smaller. I had to get some of the grippa hooks in size 10s and 12s to accomadate the size difference. Also, the actual spade on the acolyte grippa hooks is smaller and so the size 14s weren't suitable to tie directly to my favoured 6lb daiwa sensor mainlne.
Fingers crossed the new acolyte super spades are the same size as the original super spades and have the same sized spade!

Last edited:
I have also used the original SS for a long time also. They’ve always been a good, affordable reliable hook. I hope they continue to keep them.

The ptfe coating on the new ones puts me off the idea of even trying them.
I’ve found from many other patterns with this coating on match hooks it behaves like a teflon type material which you can feel when you pick the hook up. It’s slippery in comparison and makes the hook slide out easier and i firmly believe it’s cost fish over plain bronze finished hooks.

I have a hook pattern that I’m very set on at the moment and i actually prefer them to the super spades aswell.
Not the easiest to get a hold of but certainly the trotting hook I’ve had most success against drops so far.

If anyone is looking to try something different i highly highly recommend these hooks in all sizes for all their properties so you can make your own minds up about them.
IMG_5751.jpeg

IMG_5897.jpeg

Sorry to Pee on your parade boys but my experience of losing fish with spade ends when targeting big fish means I would never use them again, eyed hooks only for me ;)

They look the part, 15 in a pack and japanese made sounds great !

I've used the drennan acolyte grippa hooks which are teflon coated and I haven't noticed them coming free of a fish. They do seem to keep a sharp point longer than other hooks.
I've just ordered a few packs of the acolyte super spades out of curiosities sake.

Richard, before I have a look do you know any shops that supply the ones you have recommended?
Sorry to Pee on your parade boys but my experience of losing fish with spade ends when targeting big fish means I would never use them again, eyed hooks only for me ;)

To be totally honest Keith, I rarely ever loose a fish using spades, if I do it's to the very rare hook pull.

Last edited:
Richard, before I have a look do you know any shops that supply the ones you have recommemded?
I found them in benwicks when looking for other things. I tried those guru xs hooks for a bit which although look the part i couldn’t keep much on them and I put it down to the slippery feeling of the hook but that is just guess work. Maybe it’s another reason.
The garbolinos have been as good as gold. They are a similar pattern to the kamazan animals but the gape is substantially wider.

I’ve been using spades for 30 years Keith. While I respect they may not suit everyone, I have complete faith and trust in them for both strength and keeping fish on.
Presentation against an eye is loads better too imo as you don’t have that hinge point it’s just a direct connection that blends from mono to steel

I found them in benwicks when looking for other things. I tried those guru xs hooks for a bit which although look the part i couldn’t keep much on them and I put it down to the slippery feeling of the hook but that is just guess work. Maybe it’s another reason.
The garbolinos have been as good as gold. They are a similar pattern to the kamazan animals but the gape is substantially wider.

That's good because animals are also a favourite of mine.

The spade hooks I am using is a Gamakatsu one, used this pattern for 30 years now.
Similar to the garbolinos ones I think.

Attachments

• IMG_5414.jpeg
    IMG_5414.jpeg
    99.5 KB · Views: 79
My acolyte super spades arrived the other day and I made an effort to get on the bank and give them a try out yesterday....Blimey!... was it a hot one!
I was very happy with the appearence of the hooks, and unlike the acolyte grippa hooks which were kind'a small in size with a small spade, these acolyte super spades have a good sized spade for the line to pull up against, so it isn't likely to cause any issues with the line/knot cutting against it even when under serious pressure and using thicker lines. The hooks were a nice gauge of thickness and had a super sharp point, which held up all day in a rocky river. Their size looked virtually identical to the original super spades.
Anyhow, in use they proved to be every bit as good as they looked in their appearance and I landed every fish I hooked, which was quite a few good sized chub with a few tiddlers for good measure. I only had one very average barbel which put up a great account of itself.
My own opinion of the hooks is a highly positive one, and I will certainely be reaching for the acolyte super spade pack for my next days fishing 😉👍.

My acolyte super spades arrived the other day and I made an effort to get on the bank and give them a try out yesterday....Blimey!... was it a hot one!
I was very happy with the appearence of the hooks, and unlike the acolyte grippa hooks which were kind'a small in size with a small spade, these acolyte super spades have a good sized spade for the line to pull up against, so it isn't likely to cause any issues with the line/knot cutting against it even when under serious pressure and using thicker lines. The hooks were a nice gauge of thickness and had a super sharp point, which held up all day in a rocky river. Their size looked virtually identical to the original super spades.
Anyhow, in use they proved to be every bit as good as they looked in their appearance and I landed every fish I hooked, which was quite a few good sized chub with a few tiddlers for good measure. I only had one very average barbel which put up a great account of itself.
My own opinion of the hooks is a highly positive one, and I will certainely be reaching for the acolyte super spade pack for my next days fishing 😉👍.

Lovely fish 😎 you did well to get that in this heat.
I best get some ordered now if they are that good.
I was half expecting on your first outing with them, for you to say they ain’t as good as the original.

Lovely fish 😎 you did well to get that in this heat.
I best get some ordered now if they are that good.
I was half expecting on your first outing with them, for you to say they ain’t as good as the original.

Thanks Richard, you may not like them, but i'd be very surprised if you don't, I do think they would be just up your street!
Ok, i've only had one use of them, but I only used one hook all day and it stayed sharp all day!
I used a size 10 because I was trotting chunks of spam and needed that bit larger hook to keep the meat on the hook, with the help of a bit of grass stalk lol.

Back