• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Drennan rods

Paul Dowgill

Does anyone know if the reel seats on Drennan float rods are all the same size? I ask as 1. I cannot find a contact on their website 2. The reel seat on the tench specimen rod I have is not large enough for my Speedia or Grice and Young centre pins so need a new barbel float rod.

Thanks

Does anyone know if the reel seats on Drennan float rods are all the same size? I ask as 1. I cannot find a contact on their website 2. The reel seat on the tench specimen rod I have is not large enough for my Speedia or Grice and Young centre pins so need a new barbel float rod.

Thanks

Blimey don't ditch the Tench rod , those round things are more expendable :)

Not going to ditch the rod and may just use the pins for legering, could be just an excuse to buy another rod of course :D Odd that many of the newer rods have such a small fitting...I do prefer the old reel fits rather than the Fuji seats.
Thanks for the link Andy. Not sure I want to change the reels ... My aerial has a new seat and it looks odd to me.

if its a cork handle just file the cork down flat where the reel foot will sit, if it moves a bit a couple of bits of bike innertube rolle over the handle down over the reel foot will hold it firmly in place to stop any wobble

Paul, a lot of people have done exactly as Simon said...cut a bit off each end of the foot until it fits. Done carefully, it is neat enough I gather, and shouldn't devalue the reel. Come to that, I imagine you could buy a new foot and fit it on if you ever wanted to sell it.

Cheers, Dave.

the fittings on the original drennan tench float were sliders so could take any size reel seat. Having said that I also have a mk4 which will take a speedia.

You could always replace the reel fitting, If you talk to Ian Tucker at Custom Fishing Rods he may be of assistance.....

Paul, the only Drennan rod that I can get a wide drum Speedia on is a an early Ultralight Waggler, with the 'snide' Fuji reel seat that has a longer thread. I presume that your reel is a wide drum as they have a long foot/scoop. You will reduce the value of the reel if you file it down but you'll have a reel that you can use on any rod with that type of fitting...

I got Garry Mills to make me smaller replacement scoops for some of my Aerials as I didn't want the originals shortened, not an option on your Speedia as they're cast.

Back